1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
729 Posts
Terrible combination of factors -- the driver making the left turn was oblivious to oncoming traffic, and the motorcyclist was not able to anticipate being cut off when he had the right of way. There is no way to know from the facts that we presently have whether the motorcyclist was actually doing a wheelie when he was cut off by the driver making the left-hand turn.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Always sad. Lawlist makes a good point - if they saw him long enough to report he was doing a "high speed" wheelie then why/how did they turn in front of him? Even though the bike is absolutely shredded not a lot of detail to place fault - yeah he was going fast enough that the bike ripped apart on impact but would have they still turned had he been doing the speed limit? I kno some ppl will read this and think "he got what he deserved" and that doesnt ever sit well with me no matter the circumstances :angry. Terrible to hear though, sorry for his family's loss and hope the passenger recovers.

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
I hate BS titles like that. It doesn't matter if he was on 1 wheel or 2, the van should have seen him and been able to judge his speed coming at them. Unless they know he was doing a wheelie, they shouldn't say a damn thing........

·
Registered
729 Posts
I left a comment underneath the Seattle Times article, so that the author becomes more aware of the traffic laws in most states:

"The author of the article improperly creates the inference that the rider is at fault for having performed a wheelie at some point in the day prior to being struck by the van that failed to yield to the rider who had the right of way. There are no facts to indicate that a wheelie was being performed when the accident actually occurred. It would appear that the author of the article does not know that the law required the van to wait until it was clear before making a left turn and crossing 2 lanes of oncoming traffic. "

·
Registered
194 Posts
I left a comment underneath the Seattle Times article, so that the author becomes more aware of the traffic laws in most states:

"The author of the article improperly creates the inference that the rider is at fault for having performed a wheelie at some point in the day prior to being struck by the van that failed to yield to the rider who had the right of way. There are no facts to indicate that a wheelie was being performed when the accident actually occurred. It would appear that the author of the article does not know that the law required the van to wait until it was clear before making a left turn and crossing 2 lanes of oncoming traffic. "
well stated man i agree with you although he may have wheelied right into the van its not the point its that why did the van cut him off and why didnt they yeild to traffic its common sense regardless if dude was doing 120 on one wheel its sensless driving on both sides

1 - 9 of 9 Posts