Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I get back in a few hours we'll finally know the difference for my bike anyway.

Got the Jeffo map back in the winter when most here were jumping on the wagon with their 14's. With Jeffo's map the bike does seem to run great but at the same time something is a miss and I can't quite put my finger on it.

I have an appointment @ 1pm to get this thing tuned finally. I've been putting it off for months due to work and my buddy that had a crash but the time is HERE!:crazyloco

Hopefully I can get a print out of a run with Jeffo's map first before he starts the tune and have something to compare on here.

We'll see.

This morning the bike got new plugs, oil/filter and air filter in anticipation of the dyno tune.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
When I get back in a few hours we'll finally know the difference for my bike anyway.

Got the Jeffo map back in the winter when most here were jumping on the wagon with their 14's. With Jeffo's map the bike does seem to run great but at the same time something is a miss and I can't quite put my finger on it.

I have an appointment @ 1pm to get this thing tuned finally. I've been putting it off for months due to work and my buddy that had a crash but the time is HERE!:crazyloco

Hopefully I can get a print out of a run with Jeffo's map first before he starts the tune and have something to compare on here.

We'll see.

This morning the bike got new plugs, oil/filter and air filter in anticipation of the dyno tune.
I'd like to see the comparison

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it's almost worth it to me if i had to, to throw the guy an extra $20 just to make sure I get a print out of Jeffo's map first. I had him talked into it for no extra charge a couple of months ago....hopefully he's still cool with it.

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
It's about 97 here in Tampa today. Must be hot there too. I know all dynos return different hp & torque numbers. Please post your dyno runs. i'm sure we all want to see.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
I have been waiting on this Mike. Very curious.

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
just got home.

Hooked everything up and dude made a pull w/o even looking at the map and shook his head toward the end of the run, pulled the map up to have a look and the first thing out of his mouth was..."this map is all kinds of fucked up". He owns an '05, '06 and a '08 Gix 1k's so he knew by feel before looking at the map that in his mind something wasn't right.

I'll scan the sheet later when I go back to work but here's the necesary info.

Base run with Jeffo map...

Run Conditions: 97.44 F, 29.14 in-HG, Humidity 30%, STD:1.07
Max Power 146.96
Max Torque 70.59

With AF all over the place

Tuned run with complete map tune from scratch....

Run Conditions: 104.91 F, 29.13 in-HG, Humidity 20%, STD:1.07
Max Power 155.54
Max Torque 76.01

With the AF so linear smooth it isn't funny.

Tuner stated Jeffo's map was way ritch which in a way is okay IMO considering it's a guessed bench tune. That way things are safe. Now that it is REALLY tuned my god it feels SOOOOOOO much better. Yeah there was a power gain but where it really shines now is the smoothness. After seeing the AF on Jeffos map I can now relate what I was feeling before because the AF was all over the place. Throttle response is SO much better. 6th roll ons around 8 grand pull like a raped ape. 2nd gear pulls from 8 grand are down right violent now. The front end is much lighter in all gears.

Bottom line, for $50 bucks from Jeffo, it's not really a bad map....it's just not perfect one.

Give me a few and I'll post a vid or two. I've never heard my bike in those conditions, my god does it sound good. I was wearing ear muffs myself after a couple of pulls because it was so loud. I hope the vids give it some justice but I doubt it.

Mark at Dynomasters here in Chattanooga is a top notch guy. He's been doing it for 7 years and is an authorized Dyno Jet tuner on DJ's site. Couldn't have asked for a nicer guy that was overly informative all through the 2.5 hrs of me being there.

Hell while I was there I got a free mod done that I've been meaning to do. On Gix's there is what is called a PAIR valve which introduces fresh air into the mix when the throttle gets slammed shut which causes extreme decel pop and is a tuners nightmare bacause of false AF readings. Mark went ahead , pulled the tank and disabled the valve while I was there. No more decel pop!

Hmmm, i guess I could try to take a pic of the sheet to see how it comes out but I'll still scan it later when I go back to work.

Be back in a few.

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I still have in my garage yet to be installed the Yosh race header..... Japan version to match Japan version Yosh Cyclone can, Dyno Jet Ignition module and recently recieved velocity stacks. I'll install all that and maybe more in the fall and retune for hopefully somewhere in the 170's.

working on vids now.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
very nice

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Wow...didn't know what to expect here for sure. I guess the Jeffo is still a bargain at 50 bucks but the a/f ratio is killin me here. That guy got it VERY linear. Looks good Mike...now if I could find someone around here I would do this.

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh forgot to mention current perfomance mods for those that don't know....

Stock air filter, I don't believe in running a BMC or K&N on the street and most tuners will tell you the gains are very minimal.
Yoshimura Cyclone{japan version} slip on
+2 rear sprocket
PC III {duh}

and that's it currently so considering the heat and current mods...that's not to shabby.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Just put in my order. Thanks for the reminder. Was about to get a custom tune this week. Can't go wrong with improved performance for $50. If it eliminates the popping, then it's worth it.

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If I had to do ALL over again I would skip out on the Jeffo map and do a straight up tune. Words can not express how much better it feels and i'm not just talking about the HP gain.

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Another note I forgot to mention, the accelerator pump feature on the PCIII that Jeffo uses, my tuner was like WTF is up with that? he got rid of it entirely. he actually had to use his disc to install the accelerator pump on his PC{computer} then shut mine off. it's something he NEVER uses.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Sounds awesome, it makes my cheap ass wanna go get a PCIII and a tune

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
last vid is being converted. won't take but a sec to make to movie since i'm not editing the individual clips. then save and convert on maker then upload to you tube. with in the hour maybe.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts