Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
81 - 85 of 85 Posts

· Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
The only thing i did was swap the carbs and it cured the smoke. Everything else was exactly the same.
i thought the head gasket had gone, it took a minute or so after starting it this morning before the smoke started, swapped the carbs and had it running for a while with no smoke

· Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
Went out tonight to strip the carbs, didnt try to start it just pulled the carbs off. This is what i found
Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Auto part Electric blue Space

Ive stripped the carbs completely, the main body of the carbs are sat in a bucket of cleaning solution. Its a concentrated solution of vitamin C, my girlfriends dad is a chemist and he gave it to me, hopefully it will work.
it cleaned and free’d up the adjusters on my ohlins shock.
the needles jets and everything else made of brass is in my ultrasonic cleaner, its just a small cheap jewellery type one.
i pulled the fuel out of the head with a syringe and hose. The oil level hasnt risen. It needs serviced anyway, i just topped it up to get it going on sat. It only looks to be one carb thats leaked as the rest of the valves looked dry

· Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
Carbs have been stripped and cleaned, i will borrow the float valves and seats out of my L carbs and source a rebuild kit. I dont use them so its not an issue.
my poor Lhad its plugs borrowed to get the J running. I even borrowed its fuel tank, i left the fuel tap switched on.
I bought 2 sets of plugs earlier in the year and put them someplace safe until i needed them. Havent seen them in about 7 months.
ive checked everyplace i would expect them to be, ive went thru all my boxes of parts, ive checked there not in spare engines, under my pillow or anyplace else daft.
they will turn up the day after i get new ones delivered.

i live on a farm in the middle if no place and things have a tendency to go missing, then turn up someplace obvious. My haynes manual was missing for over 2 month. It turned up sitting on top of the filing cabinet next to my work bench. I think its the pigeons messing with me

· Registered
1993 Zx-7 L Model, 2006 ZX-10R
5,140 Posts
Went out tonight to strip the carbs, didnt try to start it just pulled the carbs off. This is what i found
View attachment 23411
Ive stripped the carbs completely, the main body of the carbs are sat in a bucket of cleaning solution. Its a concentrated solution of vitamin C, my girlfriends dad is a chemist and he gave it to me, hopefully it will work.
it cleaned and free’d up the adjusters on my ohlins shock.
the needles jets and everything else made of brass is in my ultrasonic cleaner, its just a small cheap jewellery type one.
i pulled the fuel out of the head with a syringe and hose. The oil level hasnt risen. It needs serviced anyway, i just topped it up to get it going on sat. It only looks to be one carb thats leaked as the rest of the valves looked dry
This pic is the textbook definition of a leaky float valve. I'm surprised the carb wasn't full of petrol when you went to pull them. Good thing you didn't try to start it.

Reactions: Slorg442 and Pyke13

· Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
Ive reassembled the carbs, i used the float valve, seats and floats out of another set of carbs. The choke mechanism sticks on release, it slides back half way then feels like theres a notch in it. Considering that the float bows were full of water when i originally pulled them theyve came up pretty well.
tomorrow i will check how much fuel got into the oil and drop the oil. Im waiting to hear back from my accountant on what my tax bill is, this may bring this project to a crashing halt.
ive also got my works van to sort and mot, it needs something done to the turbo. Its throwing fault codes and saying the atmospheric pressure is at 4000Mbar.
ive also got the camper lorry i live in when working away to fix and mot. Power steering pumps pushing fluid out the res, ive changed the pump for a new oem one, got the steering bix reconditioned and replaced all the hydraulic hoses. Ive been trying to fix it since before lockdown.
these really need to take priority over motorbikes since they earn me the money to buy bike parts.
On the plus side, i found one set of spark plugs. They were under another bike out of sight

81 - 85 of 85 Posts