Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
61 - 80 of 85 Posts

· Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
If it has its been a privateer on a budget, thats not a big budget fabrication.
it also does away with the ability to run a airbox with ram air/front scoop
Saying all that i think its pretty cool and will be happy to have it on my bike

· Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·

· Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
The fuel tank may have to wait a bit, my vans engine managment light cane on this week and went into limp mode, think its the dpf.
My gf’s car has developed a klunk and shake from the near side wheel today, so that needs sorted as well.
she is a tree surgeon and gardner and im a builder and landscape gardner, its winter and theres a cost of living crisis so moneys tight in the pyke household at the moment.
although the fuel tank may have to wait a couple of months theres plenty more i can get on with.
ive still got half the wiring loom to sort out, triumph logos to file off the calipers, zx6r to take of my L model and fit to the J, ohlins to fit to the L. Finish cleaning up the yoshi system and swap it for the micron thats on it. Every thing needs bleed and new pads fitted all round.
so dont worry i will be busy
Automotive tire Automotive exhaust Bumper Muffler Exhaust system

Human leg Bicycle part Wood Metal Road surface

Tool Bicycle part Bumper Composite material Sculpture

thats the yoshi headers and link pipe as clean as i can be bothered with. Any idea how to clean up the can? Its like the clear coat in the carbon has turned greyish.

· Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
Oh yeah, ive also got 3 9R engines that need attention and a heap if 9R B parts to sell on, im fed up tripping over them already and its only been a couple if weeks.
1st 9 engine needs a head gasket, push rod seal and the clutch looking at, the plates have stuck together.
2nd 9 engine needs prettymuch the same
One if them also is low on compression, i cant remember which one is which.
the 3rd 9 engine i dropped out if the parts bike and dragged across the floor out of the way. It needs a rocker cover gasket, its leaking above the headers. Other than that it needs checked. Whats most likely to happen is i throw it into the L and try and start it. Its orobably the quickest and easiest way to tell if its good.
the J hasnt run in about 3 or 4 years, i will keep trying to get it running off an auxiliary tank. Its got 60,000 miles on it and may not been maintained as well as it could have been. I would like to keep the 750 engine in it for a while until i get used to being back on a bike again, its been a few years. Once i get used to it replace it with one if the 9 engines

· Registered
1992 ZX-7(J) 2017 Z650
123 Posts
i bought a J tank and single seat unit in the summer and did a deal that they kept the tank and shipped the seat unit for free. Think i paid £35 as i was the only bidder but didnt fancy the 700 mile round trip to collect
That's wild, a J tank on ebay in decent condition would go for 10x that from what I've seen.

Any idea how to clean up the can? Its like the clear coat in the carbon has turned greyish.
Maybe spot test a light polishing compound on the clear coat somewhere? Honestly don't know, never had a carbon exhaust myself. I'd try a spot on the back and see what happens.

ohlins to fit to the L
If you don't mind posting a pic of how you jack up the bike for that, I'd love to see it. I have a spare swingarm in better shape than what's on my bike, but I have no idea how to support the rear end of this bike to do it. I've also thought about a newer shock for mine. I can't really tell if the current one is bad or not, though, not enough experience on supersports. Feels fine most of the time but I get launched on bigger bumps going ~70+mph.

· Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
That's wild, a J tank on ebay in decent condition would go for 10x that from what I've seen.

Maybe spot test a light polishing compound on the clear coat somewhere? Honestly don't know, never had a carbon exhaust myself. I'd try a spot on the back and see what happens.

If you don't mind posting a pic of how you jack up the bike for that, I'd love to see it. I have a spare swingarm in better shape than what's on my bike, but I have no idea how to support the rear end of this bike to do it. I've also thought about a newer shock for mine. I can't really tell if the current one is bad or not, though, not enough experience on supersports. Feels fine most of the time but I get launched on bigger bumps going ~70+mph.
A 2012 zx6r shock fits fairly easily. Drill botom hole out, file to make a little wider at linkage end and use a zx6r top mount. Fairly decent oem shiwa shock that can be picked up for $40 on ebay.
as for fitting, remove riders pegs and swap side to side so they are on wrong side and upside down. I use axle stands and put bike on side stand, put brake side onto axle stand and lift the bike up, have someone else push the other axle stand under other side. Its possible but really difficult by yourself.
the other method i use is, lift bike on paddock stand and use ropes to the roof. Use 2 in a V shape tied to subframe. Dont use one rope, bike moves about, falls over and loads of bad shit happens. Trust me on this.
Since im swapping engines and my workshop roof is 20+ ft i will go with the no engine fitted and lying it on its side in the grass method

· Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
The J tank wasnt in the best condition, had no keys and the seller couldnt remember if it was rusty inside.
at the time i only wanted the single tail unit. Turns out it doesnt fit worth a
And is made of filler mainly.
ive bought another tail that came with a seat and 2 butt pads and fits like oem

· Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
It runs, not very well but its running for the first time in about 4 yrs.
I need to swap the carbs back to the original carbs, sort one of the clamps so it will tighten on the inlet rubber and work out whats up with the fuel pump.
the pump works if i give it 12v directly so im thinking its the pump relay. Ihave spare pumps and relays lying about just need to get it working properly.
then its just a case of getting it to take throttle without stalling then service it and get it all back together. Just, easy and wont take long 😂😂🏴🏴󠁧󠁢

· Registered
1993 Zx-7 L Model, 2006 ZX-10R
5,140 Posts
It runs, not very well but its running for the first time in about 4 yrs.
I need to swap the carbs back to the original carbs, sort one of the clamps so it will tighten on the inlet rubber and work out whats up with the fuel pump.
the pump works if i give it 12v directly so im thinking its the pump relay. Ihave spare pumps and relays lying about just need to get it working properly.
then its just a case of getting it to take throttle without stalling then service it and get it all back together. Just, easy and wont take long 😂😂🏴🏴󠁧󠁢
Get original carbs cleaned thoroughly.
Sort problematic intake boot clamp.
Sync carbs.
Profit.

At least to getting the engine to not fall on its face when you give it throttle. But, you already knew this. Don't mind me.

Reactions: 2fat2fly

· Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
I doubt theres any profit in this one, that would mean selling it. Its probably going to get kept and be my everyday bike but i do find myself looking at Z1000mk11’s (KZ1000 in america) on a regular basis so i never know.
I do fancy something more sitting upright, we will see
Tomorrow i will see about sorting out its issues and hopefully have it running a bit better

· Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Fuel tank

this one takes my fancy, ive got a zx9r rear end for it. Its got a gpz1100 engine fitted already, just needs wiring done and a few little jobs.By the looks of it its aZ1000r and probably started life out as a Eddie lawson replica. My plan would be to put it back to a ELR with a modern twist

· Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
Paut the original carbs back on, sorted the clap. Threads were stripped so just replace the whole thing as couldnt find a machine screw the right size. I will replace it at some point as it messes with my head not having the correct number of working clamps clamps.
swapped the fuel pump over for a working one, bike starts and runs a lot easier, doesnt blow smoke the way it was. But still wont rev out properly.
it gets to about 7k and splutters, sprays fuel vapour from the carbs, makes a sucking noise and dies.
i also cant get it to idle properly, anything below 2k and it struggles, the revs drop and it dies.
back to stripping the carbs and clean them, i only did a half arsed job obviously

· Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
Automotive tire Bumper Automotive lighting Gas Tire

thats how badly it smokes with the L model carbs, doesnt smoke with its own carbs fitted.
im having to use my L fuel tank as the J tank needs sealed and the and the external fuel bottle leaks like a sieve.

· Registered
1993 Zx-7 L Model, 2006 ZX-10R
5,140 Posts
View attachment 23391
thats how badly it smokes with the L model carbs, doesnt smoke with its own carbs fitted.
im having to use my L fuel tank as the J tank needs sealed and the and the external fuel bottle leaks like a sieve.
I have no idea why a set of carbs would do this and the j carbs don't

61 - 80 of 85 Posts