Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
41 - 52 of 52 Posts

· Registered
1993 Zx-7 L Model, 2006 ZX-10R
5,026 Posts
The air jets between the L and J model are different sizes, i assume i need to swap them as well as the fuel jets.
how do i get the air jets out?
You don't. Are the L air jets bigger?

· Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Its been pointed out to me that the air jets are different sizes and they cant really be changed. So ive started cleaning the J carbs and will stick with them. Turns out there no place as bad to clean as i thought they were goong to be. Petrol and a toothbrush seem to be doing the worst of it. I will use a air line to blow out the jets, removed from the carbs first

· Registered
5,026 Posts
Yeah the L jets are #100 for main air jet and the J is #90
I'm having trouble locating the part on babbitts. I would use the stock idle/pilot jet from the J and adjust the A/F screw accordingly OR use idle/pilot fuel jet from the L.

Reactions: Pyke13

· Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
I'm having trouble locating the part on babbitts. I would use the stock idle/pilot jet from the J and adjust the A/F screw accordingly OR use idle/pilot fuel jet from the L.
I gave up trying to figure out the best way to do it and get it to run right and have started to clean the carbs. There cleaning up a lot better than i thought they would

· Registered
1992 ZX-7(J) 2017 Z650
85 Posts
In case it's useful:

· Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
The carbs are still sitting in bits, i havent had a chance to get back to them.
thursday eening i found a zx9r parts bike on ebay, 750miles i unloaded it into my shed
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Its rough all round and has been left outside without a cover. The ignition is smashed but the background check is clear. I wasnt planning on buying a 9R, i dont want a 9R and wasnt planning going 900 on this zxr and i already have a spare 900 engine.
The reason i bought it, i wanted the ohlins rear shock and full yoshi system
Hand tool Tool Nickel Metalworking hand tool Auto part

Gas Asphalt Auto part Pipe Automotive tire

The shock seems to be in decent enough condition, all the adjusters move and doesn't appear to leak but needs a new spring.
The yoshi needs a good clean and polish but is complete and in decent condition just dirty and only weights 4.9kg. The micron can thats on the bike weighs 4.2kg, i havent had the headers off to weight them but im guessing there heavy

· Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
While i was on my 750 round trip i stopped in buy a mates house and collected the fairing i bought in may. Friday aas the first time i had actually seen them, there not as bad as i thought they were going to be but still need some work
Audio equipment Grass Personal protective equipment Font Fashion accessory

Tool Font Plastic Grass Paint

Font Fender Grass Umbrella Plant

Hood Motor vehicle Font Automotive exterior Electric blue

Grass Creative arts Triangle Font Fin

· Registered
5,026 Posts
The carbs are still sitting in bits, i havent had a chance to get back to them.
thursday eening i found a zx9r parts bike on ebay, 750miles i unloaded it into my shed View attachment 23146
Its rough all round and has been left outside without a cover. The ignition is smashed but the background check is clear. I wasnt planning on buying a 9R, i dont want a 9R and wasnt planning going 900 on this zxr and i already have a spare 900 engine.
The reason i bought it, i wanted the ohlins rear shock and full yoshi system View attachment 23147

View attachment 23148
The shock seems to be in decent enough condition, all the adjusters move and doesn't appear to leak but needs a new spring.
The yoshi needs a good clean and polish but is complete and in decent condition just dirty and only weights 4.9kg. The micron can thats on the bike weighs 4.2kg, i havent had the headers off to weight them but im guessing there heavy
Ship the zx9 engine across the pond? I will gladly buy the zx9 engine off your hands and would greatly appreciate it :p
I don't think the shipping cost would be worth it. Oh well. I can wish.

· Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
So the 9r is fully stripped and the
put away im keeping, the ones thats for sale just need photos taken and listed.
The J model carbs are cleaned and back together, hopefully tomorrow i can get the wiring finally sorted out and possibly even get it up and running.
The 9r frame i cut up had crash damage, dented frame spar and had no paper work. My gf son is very interested in blacksmithing so it will slowly get melted down and turned into other things.

· Registered
5,026 Posts
So the 9r is fully stripped and the
put away im keeping, the ones thats for sale just need photos taken and listed.
The J model carbs are cleaned and back together, hopefully tomorrow i can get the wiring finally sorted out and possibly even get it up and running.
The 9r frame i cut up had crash damage, dented frame spar and had no paper work. My gf son is very interested in blacksmithing so it will slowly get melted down and turned into other things.
It would be cool if he could save the head/neck portion where the VIN is stamped and make something out of that.

Reactions: Pyke13
41 - 52 of 52 Posts