Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
21 - 40 of 52 Posts

· Registered
1993 Zx-7 L Model, 2006 ZX-10R
5,026 Posts
Should the rear wheel sit centred in the swingarm or is it offset?
Should be centered. I use the chain on the sprockets as an alignment guide

Edit: wouldn't be the first time I forgot a collar or put one of the collars on the wrong side

Reactions: Pyke13

· Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Front mudguard fitted, took a few try's to get it sitting almost properly.
Wheel Tire Bicycle wheel Bicycle tire Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Crankset Bicycle tire Motor vehicle

its from a zxr400L
I had a zxr400 as my first bike and really liked the front mudguard, found one cheap so here we are.
the stickers and the red rim tapes coming off

edit the brake callipers will get sanded and painted to get rid of the triumph logo. There nissin 4 pots

· Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Circle Metal Soil Automotive tire Pattern

got the front sprocket off, just as worn as the rear. Whatseven more shocking than the wear, it was on hand tight!!!
Only the safety washer being bent round the nut was holding it on.
the new sprocket is on correctly

· Registered
1992 ZX-7(J) 2017 Z650
85 Posts
A little late but wanted to drop in to say that the speedo looks really good!

Not sure how concerned you are about keeping it stock, but I found some nice reservoir (brake & clutch) caps and clip-ons for my 92 that I think are new-old-stock from a company called Pro-Tek. Also got rid of the birdcage fairing stay with one from SES.

got the front sprocket off, just as worn as the rear. Whatseven more shocking than the wear, it was on hand tight!!!
Only the safety washer being bent round the nut was holding it on.
I had the same problem! Probably rode it 50 miles before I swapped the sprockets and found the front sprocket nut just being held on by the washer.

· Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·

Not sure how concerned you are about keeping it stock, but I found some nice reservoir (brake & clutch) caps and clip-ons for my 92 that I think are new-old-stock from a company called Pro-Tek. Also got rid of the birdcage fairing stay with one from SES.

I had the same problem! Probably rode it 50 miles before I swapped the sprockets and found the front sprocket nut just being held on by the washer.
ive got the ses fairing stay already but thanks for the tip. The original one was a little squint.
im trying to keep it looking original or close to it but im not to bothered about it being original, its done

ive got the ses fairing stay already but thanks for the tip. The original one was a little squint.
im trying to keep it looking original or close to it but im not to bothered about it being original, its done 60k miles so its probably not worth restoring. Would cost more to make original than i would ever get back out of it. Only thing ive done lately is make all the brackets out of alloy i can, i cant weld so i cant make as many of them as i would like.

· Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Today is the first day in ages ive had time to work on the bike. I fitted all the alloy brackets i had made, for got to take a pic of them beforehand. Fuel pump and filter, igniter and battery tray support as well as the fuel tap bracket.
fitted the new clutch lever, messed about trying to piece back the wiring loom, it had been cut to try and hot wire it when it was stolen. Connected up a battery and had the idiot lights, indicators tail light working as they should but the fuel pump wasnt priming and the starter sounds like it is sticking. The relay faintly clicks.
Hood Automotive tire Gas Motor vehicle Vehicle door

someones cut the wires out of the loom
The ignition multi plug was also missing
Electrical wiring Cable Wire Electrical supply Gas

The bike did come with a spare loom so i swapped that over, connected everything up and nothing.
no sign of life whatsoever, checked fuses and swapped fuse box over
Nothing

· Registered
5,026 Posts
Today is the first day in ages ive had time to work on the bike. I fitted all the alloy brackets i had made, for got to take a pic of them beforehand. Fuel pump and filter, igniter and battery tray support as well as the fuel tap bracket.
fitted the new clutch lever, messed about trying to piece back the wiring loom, it had been cut to try and hot wire it when it was stolen. Connected up a battery and had the idiot lights, indicators tail light working as they should but the fuel pump wasnt priming and the starter sounds like it is sticking. The relay faintly clicks.
View attachment 23031
someones cut the wires out of the loom
The ignition multi plug was also missing View attachment 23032
The bike did come with a spare loom so i swapped that over, connected everything up and nothing.
no sign of life whatsoever, checked fuses and swapped fuse box over
Nothing
Do you know what bike the spare loom came off of?

· Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Swapped looms back over, cut the multi plug for the ignition off and wires it into the original loom, just away to do the fuel pump plug.
have lights, indicators, idiot lights and even had it turning over. First time ive heard this bike crank. Knew it could do it

· Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Get a chain alignment tool. This is the only right way.

Motion Pro 08-0048 Chain Alignment Tool https://a.co/d/3tVHpux
Cheers for that, Its on my shopping list.
The problem i was having was caused by me using the 750 spacers with the 600 wheel, ive got 6r captive spacers in there now and it all seems ti line up.
i used a straight bit of angle alloy cable tied to the rear sprocket on my other bike, the right tool for the job is probably a better way of doing

· Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Ive managed to find all the infill panels that were missing and have started cleaning them up. The bike came with a uncut standard mudguard and ive found the correct numberplate light and rear reflector for it. Its badly faded but should come up ok with a gentle sand.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Tread

Ive got the rest of this week free as im between jobs, start a new one on monday. Most of this week will be spent sorting the wiring, cleaning the carbs, cleaning up the faded plastics and trying to get it running

· Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Are J and L carbs the same? Ive a good set of L carbs sitting and was thinking i could just swap them over
Motor vehicle Wood Automotive exterior Grass Bumper

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Gas Automotive wheel system

each carb is the same, has the white rust in it.
the breather pipes between 1-2 and 3-4 had rusty water i think coming out them.
thinking it might just be easier to swap carbs over than deal with these ones.
ive got a feeling there going to be a headache

· Registered
5,026 Posts
Are J and L carbs the same? Ive a good set of L carbs sitting and was thinking i could just swap them over View attachment 23040
View attachment 23041
each carb is the same, has the white rust in it.
the breather pipes between 1-2 and 3-4 had rusty water i think coming out them.
thinking it might just be easier to swap carbs over than deal with these ones.
ive got a feeling there going to be a headache
Wait for one of the ninja pros to confirm/correct me, but I think they are the same:

J Model:

L Model:
Yes. Carbs from 91-95 are swappable.

Reactions: Pyke13
21 - 40 of 52 Posts