Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure there will be some questions for me so I'll try to answer them now and then you riders can answer "MY" questions. I only have 70 miles on it so far and was told to keep it under 4 grand for the first 700 miles. Even at 4 grand and under...this bike had more power than I expected and I can't wait to see what it'll do once I can UNLEASH THE BEAST. Thank you riders in advance for the answers to my questions and your input .

1) 2010 Black & Silver ZX-14 SE (still in crate) on 3/1/12
2) $10,105 out the door
3) Cernic's in Johnstown Pa. (3hrs from my house)
4) previous ride---2006 Suzuki M109r (stolen Oct 2010)

Now for "my" questions...

1) I'll need tires at some point. What aftermarket tire should I buy??
2) PIPES, PIPES, PIPES!!! What pipe(s) should I buy? Should I go with a FULL SYSTEM 2 into 2, a 2 into 1 or a SLIP ON(S)??

I don't want a LOUD exhaust system, but rather something deep and mellow.
Thank you all again for your valued responses!!!!

·
Premium Member
4,944 Posts
1. Usual debate on tires..............I'll stay outta this as tires vary by bike and I have an 11
2. Muzzy

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I rode a cruiser, most of my SPORTBIKE friends would go on and on about MUZZY. I thought most of their bikes were loud as hell, but I will look into the pipe they call MUZZY. I'll just wing it on the tires...can't be THAT much difference between brands. THNX RIDER!!!!!!

Thanks for the pipe tip. I shouldn't need tires until the end of the riding season...I hope.

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
When I rode a cruiser, most of my SPORTBIKE friends would go on and on about MUZZY. I thought most of their bikes were loud as hell, but I will look into the pipe they call MUZZY. I'll just wing it on the tires...can't be THAT much difference between brands. THNX RIDER!!!!!!

Thanks for the pipe tip. I shouldn't need tires until the end of the riding season...I hope.
If I owned a 14, based on what people are saying... I would go through about 2.5 sets a year.

·
Registered
135 Posts

Tires are your choice. Everyone has their opinion. As for the pipe, I had a Brock's street meg. Great pipe and awesome sound. Now I have his Alienhead pipe.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I was riding my bike yesterday and was at 9 grand in the upper gears.That Alienhead sure sounded sweet.
Craig.

·
Quinton Phuckin Tarantino
18,914 Posts
As for best sound muzzy slip-ons . Yoshi slip-ons are a little quieter I think though . Tires are very subjective though , ask 10 riders ,get 10 different answers .

·
Premium Member
4,944 Posts

I've never owned a different brand than a Kawi for my sportbikes..........and every one of 'em has had a Muzzy Full Exhaust on it.........I like the growl of them.........some like Brocks and there a gazillion out there........

I have Michelin 2CT's on my ZX11 ............love the stickness.........not worried about mileage. If ya want mileage tires, get some Continental's .........Conti Motion I think........you can get a shitload of mileage, but, not very sticky.

Just my $0.02

·
Premium Member
13,120 Posts
I like the dual exhausts, so it wasn't necessary to get a full system, only some slip-ons. There are many brands of exhausts as well as tires that will serve the purpose. Of course, sport tires won't last as long as sport-touring tires which won't last as long as touring tires, but sport tires will grip better than sport-touring tires which will grip better than touring tires. It all comes down to personal preference and budget. You can break the bank with a full titanium exhaust system and blow $400 on soft tires that stick like glue for a weekend or two before they're worn out. I prefer to shop in the middle of available tire ranges and according to the best deal. Currently running Michelin Pilot Road IIs, but the IIIs are good also. Pilot Powers will stick better and yeild less mileage. Moreso for the Power Pures and Power Ones. Every brand makes several grades and purposes of tire and it may take you a few sets to decide which ones are best for you. After the PR IIs, I like Dunlop Roadsmarts. I would also not hesitate to buy Pirelli Angels, Avon Storm II Ultras, Continental Road Attacks or the latest Metzler sport-touring offering.

So really, there's no such thing as the "best" exhaust or the "best" tire. It all depends on what you want and what you want to pay.

·
Registered
937 Posts
I'm sure there will be some questions for me so I'll try to answer them now and then you riders can answer "MY" questions. I only have 70 miles on it so far and was told to keep it under 4 grand for the first 700 miles. Even at 4 grand and under...this bike had more power than I expected and I can't wait to see what it'll do once I can UNLEASH THE BEAST. Thank you riders in advance for the answers to my questions and your input .

1) 2010 Black & Silver ZX-14 SE (still in crate) on 3/1/12
2) $10,105 out the door
3) Cernic's in Johnstown Pa. (3hrs from my house)
4) previous ride---2006 Suzuki M109r (stolen Oct 2010)

Now for "my" questions...

1) I'll need tires at some point. What aftermarket tire should I buy??
2) PIPES, PIPES, PIPES!!! What pipe(s) should I buy? Should I go with a FULL SYSTEM 2 into 2, a 2 into 1 or a SLIP ON(S)??

I don't want a LOUD exhaust system, but rather something deep and mellow.
Thank you all again for your valued responses!!!!
Congratulations on ypur ZX-14! Michelin 2ct pilot power, very sticky. Take the bike up to redline in all six gears and then decide if you need to upgrade the pipes:rotflmao Your bike needs nothing except frame sliders.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Tires are your choice. Everyone has their opinion. As for the pipe, I had a Brock's street meg. Great pipe and awesome sound. Now I have his Alienhead pipe.
I don't know anybody else with a 14...that's why I'm buging the hell outta you riders. I'll add "BROCK'S" to my list of pipes check out. I'll just research the tires on my own.

THANKS BrucerZX14!!!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Based on your screen name,"lovethetwisties", I'd suggest Michelin Power Pures in 190/55/17 & 120/70/17. A set of Pures will run you roughly 300 bucks.
http://www.michelinpowerpure.com/en/

Your budget will tell you what kind of exhaust you get. You can spend $500.00 to $3,000.00+? What is the budget for exhaust?
$3,000????? Damn Clark, the last time I signed a check...I didn't use the last name TRUMP. 3 STACKS!!!!! That must be a complete system. I'll fork out a grand, and that's pushing it to the MAX. 3 grand...damn rider, you made me pop open a beer and I don't even like beer!!!!! I can do between $600 and a grand for pipes. For 3 grand, it better set off car alarms from half a block away and add 10+ HP. Thanks for the tire info!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was riding my bike yesterday and was at 9 grand in the upper gears.That Alienhead sure sounded sweet.
Craig.
9000 RPM.....NICE!! I still have 600 more miles to go before I can unlease the beast, but I gotta tell ya, even at 4 grand and under this beast has earned my full RESPECT. The front end has already tried to leave the pavement twice without me even trying. I DON'T MISS MY M109R...AT ALL.

THNX CRAIG!!!!!!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
As for best sound muzzy slip-ons . Yoshi slip-ons are a little quieter I think though . Tires are very subjective though , ask 10 riders ,get 10 different answers .
There's that MUZZY name again. I spoke to a GIXXER 1000 rider and he said the YOSHI slip-on is the way to go on a big bore HYPER bike like the ZX-14.

I'll do the tire thing on my own. I still have the "chicken strip" on these so I have a while to go before I worry about tires.
THANKS iron8!!!!

·
Registered
65 Posts
It depends on how you drive, if you scrape your knee in every corner you whould want a more sporty tier but if you just ride "normal" sportstouring tiers can be the thing.
You can push the sportstouring tiers alot, probebly more then an average drive is good for.

The benefits wit ST tiers is they get warmer faster and you get better grip earlyer,last longer and are better in the wet.

Sportier tiers have better grip when thay get warm, but they use longer time to get the ideal temprature. They stear lighter and faster then ST tiers.

So to what tiers you shold pick is up to you and how you drive(or think you drive). Buy what you think you need, try it and then try a diffrent one next tier sett :)
Tiers dosent last that long so your not stuck with a bad choice for a long time.

I drive on Dunlope Road smart and are gona buy Road Smart2 or Michelin Pilot Power3, thes ar the kind of roads i drive on..

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've never owned a different brand than a Kawi for my sportbikes..........and every one of 'em has had a Muzzy Full Exhaust on it.........I like the growl of them.........some like Brocks and there a gazillion out there........

I have Michelin 2CT's on my ZX11 ............love the stickness.........not worried about mileage. If ya want mileage tires, get some Continental's .........Conti Motion I think........you can get a shitload of mileage, but, not very sticky.

Just my $0.02
There it is again...MUZZY, this must be one hell of a exhaust system because just about EVERYBODY has or has had it at some point. All I have to do now is find a 14 owner in my area with a MUZZY and or Yoshi so I can hear them.
Your tire info is JUST what I was looking for because I had "STICKY" tires on my M109r and the only thing that kept me from keeping up with the sportbike riders in the twisties was THE BIKE. I would drag the pegs, bottom pipe and the frame (which scared the chit outta me), but I don't see that happening with this sexy beast. CAN A BEAST BE SEXY???
Thanks for all of your input and for pointing a NEW owner in the right direction. ALL OF YOU RIDERS ROCK!!!:clap:clap:clap

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I like the dual exhausts, so it wasn't necessary to get a full system, only some slip-ons. There are many brands of exhausts as well as tires that will serve the purpose. Of course, sport tires won't last as long as sport-touring tires which won't last as long as touring tires, but sport tires will grip better than sport-touring tires which will grip better than touring tires. It all comes down to personal preference and budget. You can break the bank with a full titanium exhaust system and blow $400 on soft tires that stick like glue for a weekend or two before they're worn out. I prefer to shop in the middle of available tire ranges and according to the best deal. Currently running Michelin Pilot Road IIs, but the IIIs are good also. Pilot Powers will stick better and yeild less mileage. Moreso for the Power Pures and Power Ones. Every brand makes several grades and purposes of tire and it may take you a few sets to decide which ones are best for you. After the PR IIs, I like Dunlop Roadsmarts. I would also not hesitate to buy Pirelli Angels, Avon Storm II Ultras, Continental Road Attacks or the latest Metzler sport-touring offering.

So really, there's no such thing as the "best" exhaust or the "best" tire. It all depends on what you want and what you want to pay.
WOW!!!! Dude, you must work part time in a tire shop because you gave me the tire info that I was looking for. As a matter of fact, I'm going to print it and refer back to it when I need tires. I need to go outside a see brand it came with from the factory with. On second thought, I'll wait until tomorrow because I have to work tonight and if I go out there and pull that cover off...IT'S A WRAP. I'll ride right up until it time for me to go to work and I can't be late twice in one month.

Thank you for all of your tire information. GREAT JOB!!!!!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Dunlop Road Smart 2 and Michelin Pilot Road 3 are good sports touring tiers that have a exelent grip on wet roads.
I was kinda leaning toward "Dunlop" because that's what I had on my M109 before it was stolen. It had the grip equal to some two sided tape!! I had the Dunlop E3 250 on the rear and E3 160 or 170 on the front.

Thnx for your input ZZR.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts