Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a year ago my bike died on me out of no where. Someone was kind enough to help me and jumped my bike with their car but at the time I didn't know that that was a no go and to make matters worse the car was on. They revved it and my battery started to smoke. Later I replaced the battery and nothing so I thought I messed up my wiring. I tucked my bike away for winter. Fast forward I replaced a fuse and it started, went to give it throttle my bike went up in smoke and now my wire's are fried
Is wiring on a 2012 zx6r easy if not is it expensive ?

· Registered
1993 Zx-7 L Model, 2006 ZX-10R
5,165 Posts
It's time consuming to go through the harness and replace sections that were damaged. But, it can be done. The fastest way and most expensive way to fix is by replacing the harness and effected electrical components. You'll need to check all the grounds no matter which option you choose to go with.

Reactions: Imix0⁶

· Registered
101 Posts
Swapping out a harness isn't difficult. You can likely find a good harness cheap on eBay.

It is time consuming. I've done two and just started on the back end and pulled out the old while putting in the new. I cut the old one several times for easier removal. Took me about half a day but I was in no hurry. Of course you also have to remove various other parts of the bike.

Your bike being hooked to a car battery likely didn't cause harness damage though. It's still only a 12v source and the wiring is designed to take much more. It's perfectly fine to hook your bike to 12v car batteries.

If damage was caused it's because your rectifier/regulator is toast. The regulator's job is to keep the proper voltage. If you fried something it is no longer doing its job. Replace that first. That's easy and cheap.

· Registered
6 Posts
Just wondering, why is jumping a motorcycle a "no go"? You jumped + to + and - to ground or - battery, I don't see that being a problem.

Revving is just more amps and maybe more volts, depending on the regulator.

Kinda odd that it smoked instead of blew a fuse, the whole system is supposed to be protected by a fuse.

On your bike wiring, if you don't find a harness, you can just run new wires one by one from a wire rack. You can buy wiring racks for ~$30ish on Amazon and then just label each one.

You can even get harness pin tools. YouTube has some good videos on this.

· Registered
523 Posts
Jumping from a Car Battery with engine off is not an issue the Bike will only draw what it draws but if the Car Engine is running you risk it's charging system over whelming the Bikes Electrics.
This is not a 100% outcome but the risk out weighs the gains.
It did blow the fuse after trying to cook the Battery, I suspect it went up in flames for an unrelated issue but we will likely never know, Maybe if it hadn't been jumped from a running car he would be flying down the road without a care n the world, Maybe ;)

· Registered
6 Posts
Jumping from a Car Battery with engine off is not an issue the Bike will only draw what it draws but if the Car Engine is running you risk it's charging system over whelming the Bikes Electrics.
This is not a 100% outcome but the risk out weighs the gains.
It did blow the fuse after trying to cook the Battery, I suspect it went up in flames for an unrelated issue but we will likely never know, Maybe if it hadn't been jumped from a running car he would be flying down the road without a care n the world, Maybe ;)
I know a bike doesn't need much amperage compared to a car, so even a fair car battery should be much more than a bike needs, but a properly running car should be somewhere near 12.8~13.X or somewhere around there, maybe 14. That shouldn't be a problem at all for a bike.

In addition, it shouldn't draw any more that the device calls for. If I understand it correctly, a starter motor, in proper condition, can't draw more power than it actually uses. If the small bike starter is 1/3 that of a car (wild guess) that doesn't mean that it will all the sudden be able to draw all the amps from a car battery or as much as a car starter would.

It's like a turn signal bulb, if it draws 1 amp, that's all it can draw, unless it's shorted or somehow defective. And if it does draw more than it's rated for, it should pop a fuse instantly as the fuse is designed to be the weak link in the chain.

The safer setup is to actually let the bike's battery take a charge from the other source for a while, charge itself up and then start the engine, maybe by itself, if it can. I think that's how some of those tiny jump-boxes are supposed to work, the charge up, very quickly, the low battery. That way the don't need the high discharge batteries which are much more expensive.

BTW, any idea on where I can get a pic of the wiring diagram on an 05 ZX6R? I need to fix someone's bike.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.