Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A buddy of mine told me that if I cut a couple of holes in my airbox, it will boost my power a little bit! I don't know if thats true or not but, it sounds like it might work because my 91 zx-7 has a pretty restrictive airbox! I just wanted to know if it will really work or, mess up my bike!! Any responses would be sweet!!!

·
Registered
201 Posts
I wouldn't cut up the air box just to see if it yeilds some power gains. If you are looking to make some power start with the basics first.
1. Jet kit ( Stage 1 or 3 )
2. Install an exhaust
3. High flow air filter ( K&N, BMC)
4. Ignition Advancer
These should get you some more power without having to hack up your bike.
:crazyloco

·
Registered
201 Posts
You are right about the Ram Air effect. Cutting holes in the air will depressurize it rendering the Ram Air ineffective. Old ZX750 didn't run Ram Air until the newer models 1998+.:crazyloco

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So since my bike does not have ram air, cutting into the air box should help it a little since I have a yoshi pipe to work with the extra air coming in right?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Just because your bikie is not Ram Air Inducted doesn't mean you have to cut the box. Air filter housings are also act as a resonate chamber. It creates turbulence to help with the distribuition of air to create the ideal air charge for the engine. If you go and cut the box you will more than likely mess up this process therefore could be hurting performance rather than gaining power. If you want to get more air flow may I suggest doing the carbs.
Stage 1 kits are designed to work with a stock air box and an aftermarket exhaust which will net around 5-7% gain in horsepower.
Stage 3 kits are designed for high flow individual filters for each carb and eliminates the airbox completely- designed primarily for racing applications but have seen them used on the streets. You may expierence some driveability problems but can gain up to 15% gain in horsepower.
These are just my opinions on the subject. I would just hate to see you cut the air box only to find out that it made the bike perform worse and have to try and find a replacement to make it rideable again.:crazyloco

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks zx9racer, good advice! Do you or anybody else know where to find the individual air filters? What jet kit is the best, in your opinion? Thanks!

·
Registered
201 Posts
As far as the iundivdidual air filters go I would suggest looking at a local bike performance shop that is an authorized Parts Unlimited dealer. I know they have the individuals in their parts listings.
I run a Dynojet kit stage 1 on my 9R and it seems to work great. I know alot of people who run Ivan's or Factory Pro kits with great sucess. It is just a matter of how much money you are willing to spend and what is available for that bike.
I would make one suggestion on the jet kit though if you buy a Dynojet kit makle sure trhat it is an original kit. I bought one from a company online and recieved one of the counterfit kits that were floating around for a while. Put it on and didn't get what i was hoping for. After troubleshooting it I realized that I had recieved the bogus kit and had to buy the right parts from Dynojet.:crazyloco

·
Premium Member
4,288 Posts
also messing with your sprocket sizes will help

1 - 12 of 12 Posts