Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so I have been wanting a ZX14 for a LONG time. I do love speed but more than anything I love the look and the extra power would make it easier when me and my Wife are on rides together. Right now pulling me and the misses around is the duty of my 2000 ZX7R and it struggles a little to keep up with the pack. :lol

So I found this one at a dealer in the area and I was wondering if it was a good deal.

2009 ZX14R with a Power Commander, Full Akrapovic Exhaust, LED Kit, Alarm, and still under Factory Warranty till 5/2013

The bike does have 22,500 miles on it but to be honest I dont know if thats a lot or not? I mean my ZX7 has 24k on it and rides like a champ.

They were asking 10k for it and I can only talk them down to 8k. So is 8k to much to pay for this bike or does it seem like a good deal?

If we decide that this is a good deal and worth jumping on the ZX7 will get turned into a Track Bike and the ZX14 will be the weekend rider.

What do yall think?

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
8k is way too damn much if you ask me, but that's what you get from dealers.

If this thing is pristine, shop around and see what other places have to offer, price-wise. I don't know what prices are like in your area.

·
Premium Member
13,206 Posts
I gave $6250 for my '07 last year with 21K+. Stock exhaust but PCIII, ATRE, Galfer front rotors, Tobin seat and bar kit + some other items that I sold to help purchase some slip-ons. 8K seems a bit pricey. Check Cycle Trader to get a relative price range.

·
Administrator
58,646 Posts
Unless the aftermarket things are important to you they don't add value to the bike. Try to look at the bike in stock form. KBB lists it's retail value at $8,050. Plus you'll have to pay tax on it.
I would be more concerned about things like tires. The 14 eats rear tires.

·
Registered
288 Posts
That price isn't too bad, but a private sale would probably yeild a better deal. The 14 has a shit resale value.

·
Premium Member
13,206 Posts
I would be more concerned about things like tires. The 14 eats rear tires.

I have 6K on my rear PRII and expect another 1K out of it rather easily. A lot depends on how and where you ride. Miles done straight-up vertical are harder on tires than miles in the twisties. Of course, burnouts and drag starts are tire death.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have 6K on my rear PRII and expect another 1K out of it rather easily.
I got 2400 miles out of my PP 2CT...sport-touring, no drag strip, even mix of twisties/slab, 80% solo/20% two-up. I just put a PR3 on, have about 1200 miles on it so far with no visible wear...hoping I can get 6 - 8k out of it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
My last two 2CT's went TU quick. I did a quick 250 mile day trip...when I left, it looked great, and I figured I had at least 800 - 1k left on it. When I got home, the center was slick. The first one (was on the bike when I bougth it) was similar...had plenty of tread, did 250 miles, stopped for gas and the center was almost slick...50 miles later when i got home there was a 1/2" strip of cord showing all the way around.

When you hit the wear bars on those things, you had better have already ordered a replacement. :smile

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
If you really like the bike, buy it.
Tell the dealer you will buy at 8K out the door. Tax, Title fees and the TAG for your state. Make sure it is a Kawasaki manufacturers warranty.

Read the whole sales agreement. Better ask exactly how those aftermarket parts are covered in the warranty. If you don't have it in writing, the warranty is no good.

·
Administrator
58,646 Posts
good point, clark.
It clearly states in the good times protection plan that ANY modifications will void warranty.
That also brings to mind that other guy who bought a bike from the dealer and they told him the interest rate was 5% and it ended up being 18%. Wonder what happened with that?
Read the contract.

·
Premium Member
13,206 Posts
Mad, I'da probably bought that hugger, too, if you had pulled it off. Got one coming from L-P. How much did TD charge for the fork re-do?

·
Registered
418 Posts
I agree with Clark - 8K out the door, EVERYTHING included, and read the fine print on the contract and warranty. I got an offer from Citibank today for an instant 5500 loan (in the mail). WAY down on the bottom of the last page was the 29.5% interest rate. If you don't like the deal - WALK - ZX 14's have low resale values - heaven knows why - I suspect insurance rates. There are plenty more out there, and 8k is a very solid price out the door. In my experience, pipes etc add pretty much nothing to the value of a bike, so don't let them con you.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Mad, I'da probably bought that hugger, too, if you had pulled it off. Got one coming from L-P. How much did TD charge for the fork re-do?
$700 ballpark ;)

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

1 - 20 of 21 Posts