Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
2014 Kawasaki Ninja ZX14R
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Obviously around a track, an equally capable driver would perform better on a zx10r. But in strictly roll racing or drag racing, is there really any difference?

· Registered
1993 Zx-7 L Model, 2006 ZX-10R
5,026 Posts
Obviously around a track, an equally capable driver would perform better on a zx10r. But in strictly roll racing or drag racing, is there really any difference?
roll racing and drag racing require different setups. So, which one are you doing?

· Registered
1 Posts
According to the people who own and run 998-999-1000CC bikes, they are always faster than the Hayabusa's and zx14's.
Stock for stock my 1199 Ducati Panigale has walked all over the Yamaha R1 and the GSXR 1000. My ZX14R will stomp the Panigale into the tar on the streets and walk away from it like it's tied to a phone pole. All of this changes with riders. If you're 275 pounds racing a guy who weighs 160 , you're probably not going to win. If you're 275 pounds, you're going to be faster on the ZX14 than you would be on a 1000cc bike, I have street raced Honda CBR100RR's, BMW S100rr's, Yamaha R1's , ZX10R's, Ducati's 1199 and 1299, and the vaunted V4, all of them tuned with full exhaust, and none of them beat my stock configuration 14. All of these bikes were fast and put on very good races but just weren't quite there. My answer to the people who claim their 1000's can beat a good running 14, is, lets go find out. More often than not, they end up butt hurt. People rush out to tune and put exhausts on bikes. Lose 30 pounds instead.

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just was mostly curious. I've had my 14 for about 6 months now. I've owned a 600 but never a liter bike. Once or twice I've come across people certain they can hang with me but I was never in a good position for a (responsible) race so I never tried. Compared to my old 600 there definitely is a huge difference especially over 100mph. The 600s are fast bikes for sure but the extra CCs really show past 100 and the zx14 seems to just have unlimited thrust even beyond 100mph. Just seems to defy physics especially for such a "heavy" motorcycle. I've never ridden a 1000, not even a test drive so I just have no comparison

· Registered
5,026 Posts
I just was mostly curious. I've had my 14 for about 6 months now. I've owned a 600 but never a liter bike. Once or twice I've come across people certain they can hang with me but I was never in a good position for a (responsible) race so I never tried. Compared to my old 600 there definitely is a huge difference especially over 100mph. The 600s are fast bikes for sure but the extra CCs really show past 100 and the zx14 seems to just have unlimited thrust even beyond 100mph. Just seems to defy physics especially for such a "heavy" motorcycle. I've never ridden a 1000, not even a test drive so I just have no comparison
Well, if it's anything like going from a carb'd zx7 to a FI zx10r; I can understand. But, the 14, 12, and gsxr1300 are in a league of their own. No replacement for displacement. They also make more torque compared to 600, 750, and 1000cc engines. So, even though you have more weight, you also have more displacement, HP, and torque to help catapult you to 185 EZ-Lee.

· Registered
80,81 GS750L, 81 XS1100, 85 FJ1100, 96 GPZ11 (1200 EFI PROJECT), 03 VT11, 06 VT600, 12 ZX14R, 67 C20
163 Posts
A good rider on a litre can beat a poor rider on a hyper. But the farther u get w modifications, the greater the differences put on by motor displacement. Lose 30# on a zx10r and u get excited, lose 30# on a zx14r and ur getting nervous. Just remember, if ur nuts rnt denting ur tank ur staring at the sky 😂😂

· Registered
148 Posts
The 14 is the fastest with a pro on-board. I like it for the miles it can eat up and that you have hyper velocity on demand. I rode mine from VA to Yellowstone. One leg was an unofficial Iron Butt. I came 3 ft from a huge black bear. We scared him when I stopped. The buffalo was, "stick your arm out and touch" distance away. I smelled something turned my head and he stopped next to me. I was stuck in traffic. That was a draw as my shorts remained clean. For me the Kawasaki's are just reliable and fun to run.

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I do enjoy the relative comfort of these bikes. Compared to my cbr600rr this thing is much more spacious, more comfortable, and cuts the wind much better. The extra weight helps it feel stable at 100+, prevents it from getting floaty or drifty from a side draft. And as you guys know the power is enough to teleport you across the continent. But I also know the 1k cc bikes are similar in straight line performance so I was just curious is all.

· Registered
2017 ZX10R Non-ABS
14 Posts
I own both a liter bike(ZX10R) and the ZX14R and when I ride my 14R I can now hand a beat down to my 2 friends who own a 2021 S1KRR/2017 GSXR 1K, although they have the weight advantage(lighter bikes and me weighing +80 lbs than both of them). Once you get to know and learn how to maximize the 14R's power, its extra weight becomes a moot point. When I first purchased my 14R I was initially getting my ass handed to me, and over time I learned where the sweet spot(8K RPM) was and I began taking off in that area. After that the 2 bikes I mentioned above can't hold a candle to my 14R.

It amazes me that a bike that was developed/released over 11 years ago and still remains the same to this day, is able to out compete bikes that are being released today. It's a testament of KHI's engineers ingenuity.

7,192 Posts
I'd be curious how my 13 ZX10R would hold up against a 14R. It's not exactly fair as it has a superbike engine with 220 RWHP and is well under 400 lbs. I ride it on the street with bolt-on lights since I'm using carbon race bodywork, so it's barely street legal

In the same way, I'd wonder how my ZX12R do against a 14R. It is now a 1320cc that has head work and cams. Plus I've pulled 90 lbs of dead weight out of beast, so it's barely over liter bike weight.

I know neither of these is a fair fight, since you can also do similar to a 14R. I'm curious, but not dumb enough to try. I also have a light and pumped up 06 GSXR1000, but let's not go there.

· Registered
5,026 Posts
I'd be curious how my 13 ZX10R would hold up against a 14R. It's not exactly fair as it has a superbike engine with 220 RWHP and is well under 400 lbs. I ride it on the street with bolt-on lights since I'm using carbon race bodywork, so it's barely street legal

In the same way, I'd wonder how my ZX12R do against a 14R. It is now a 1320cc that has head work and cams. Plus I've pulled 90 lbs of dead weight out of beast, so it's barely over liter bike weight.

I know neither of these is a fair fight, since you can also do similar to a 14R. I'm curious, but not dumb enough to try. I also have a light and pumped up 06 GSXR1000, but let's not go there.
Please go there

· Registered
5,026 Posts
And I'm working on getting back to my normal 190. A few pounds to go. Fortunately I'm working on crazy deadlines in upstate NY, so no Thanksgiving or Christmas dinners for me.
Ho-Lee crap. Don't over work yourself

1 - 15 of 15 Posts