Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive riding a few of my friends bikes, 2002 GSX-r 600, 2004 636, and a 2000 honda 929 I have my permit just waiting to get my license August 5th (30 day waiting period in RI after you take the mandatory class)

Most of my friends suggest get a used beater to start then get something new. Im the kinda person who if I am gonna spend money im gonna just go get what i want instead of wasting it on something I will replace next spring.

Out of the bikes I think the 929 is a bit too powerful and the GSX-r was a bit uncomfortable. The 636 was a little smaller but more comfortable.

Im a bigger guy 6'1 250 and im not sure if the bike would really be too small for me. I got other friends saying id look goofy on such a "small" (i disagree) bike and should get a fatboy or a roadking or something.

I got a dealer local to me selling the 07 r6 for $7500 out of the door. Considering sticker is $8999 it seems like a really good deal. I just found this forum and I figured who better to ask then the experts.

So could I get some input? Btw im thinking all black and the undertail and reflectors is the first thing to go. Black frame sliders will be the first thing I get.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the input, I was approved for kawasaki financing already, im just waiting for the card to come in. So either this weekend or next weekend im hoping to get it

·
Registered
532 Posts
Can't go wrong with the 6R, (not R6) haha, I'm 6'0 235lbs, and enjoy every minute of the ZX6R. Black is good, but ORANGE is best!!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
just go for the 6r, its not exactly a beginner bike, but just be careful and you can handle it. the suspension geometry, clutch, and throttle are very forgiving on it. the r6 is alot touchier and will not be so confidence inspiring for a new rider

besides with the 6r you can do that little jumper mod after you get used to it and put some miles on it and you will have pretty much the same top-end powerband as the yamaha and the honda

and if at all possible have the dealership install framesliders before you ride it off, and tell them to give you something to ride around on the lot for a little bit. youre gonna be really angry if you tip it over in a parking lot or doing a u-turn on the street

BE SAFE !!! best of luck bro

·
Registered
300 Posts
Dude! The 2007 ZX6R was my first bike ever. Never ridden before last month. I've got almost 800 miles on the bike and I couldn't be happier. Once you get comfortable, you'll find yourself going faster (and lower). The bike is forgiving and confidence-inspiring. Get it, ride it, love it! Be careful and have fun. As for size I'm 5'11" and about 240lbs and I can still spank every car in my hometown. Hope this helps. Good luck!

·
Registered
526 Posts
personally i wouldnt recommend it as a starter bike, but hey thats ur choice, what i would do, is i would buy me a cheap used bike jus 2 really get the feel, u kno, during that period when 1 could possibly drop the thing flat. then once i really get used 2 it n im comfortable with it, i would prolly trade it in, like use the bike as a down payment for whatever ima get. but hey, thats jus my

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
personally i wouldnt recommend it as a starter bike, but hey thats ur choice, what i would do, is i would buy me a cheap used bike jus 2 really get the feel, u kno, during that period when 1 could possibly drop the thing flat. then once i really get used 2 it n im comfortable with it, i would prolly trade it in, like use the bike as a down payment for whatever ima get. but hey, thats jus my
originally that was my idea, but i dont want a POS. and a decent bike is still $3000-$4000. If im gonna spend that much id rather buy new. Im not looking to do brake or clutch jobs just yet. Or buying new tires chains and ect.

·
Registered
330 Posts
The "get a beater" suggestion is just to save you the anguish of droppin' the new love of your life early on cuz you're new to riding and the chances of a low speed (or even no speed) drop are pretty high. At least you're getting frame sliders which might help some. But hey - it's your $$ and will be your bike so do what you think is best for you; & yes the 6R rocks & you'll love it:crazyloco

Hey - don't forget to get some good gear too when you budget for the new ride - very important. Maybe you can get some stuff thrown in from the dealer you but it from.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Well if you're looking for opinions, here is mine. I'd say get the '02 GSXR 600. It's a great looking and great riding bike. The 01-03 gixxers are my favorite body style. They also have a million and a half aftermarket stuff you can add to it to personalize it to your style. It may be a bit more power than I would recommend for any newb but that's your call. I'd say more than half the people I know have dropped their first bike in the first few weeks so get sliders and wear your gear. More than likely it will be a very slow speed drop because that's when balance and control are the hardest on any bike. Ultimately it's up to you and what you think you can handle. I do not by any means recommend anything above a 600 and definately nothing big that's a v-twin. They have a hell of a lot of low end torque that will get you in trouble easy.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
The "get a beater" suggestion is just to save you the anguish of droppin' the new love of your life early on cuz you're new to riding and the chances of a low speed (or even no speed) drop are pretty high. At least you're getting frame sliders which might help some. But hey - it's your $$ and will be your bike so do what you think is best for you; & yes the 6R rocks & you'll love it:crazyloco

Hey - don't forget to get some good gear too when you budget for the new ride - very important. Maybe you can get some stuff thrown in from the dealer you but it from.
well i got a decent HJC helmet already which i needed to take the motorcycle safety course. I also have a pair of joe rocket gloves. Im thinking about getting a nice joe rocket textile jacket with some padding.

I consider a crash cage instead of frame sliders, 1 because my friend has one and I think it looks cool and 2 it would work better than frame sliders
any advice on crash cages whether to get one or not, or which one to get

Well if you're looking for opinions, here is mine. I'd say get the '02 GSXR 600. It's a great looking and great riding bike. The 01-03 gixxers are my favorite body style. They also have a million and a half aftermarket stuff you can add to it to personalize it to your style. It may be a bit more power than I would recommend for any newb but that's your call. I'd say more than half the people I know have dropped their first bike in the first few weeks so get sliders and wear your gear. More than likely it will be a very slow speed drop because that's when balance and control are the hardest on any bike. Ultimately it's up to you and what you think you can handle. I do not by any means recommend anything above a 600 and definately nothing big that's a v-twin. They have a hell of a lot of low end torque that will get you in trouble easy.
i really wasnt considering a 02 gixxer, i was just saying my friend got one a month ago, and yes he dumped it at 5mph. A kid on a bicycle at night in the middle of a way one street going the wrong way. Completely not my friends fault but if he was an experienced driver he wouldnt have dumped it

any advice on crash cages?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yea I just bought the 07 and It is the first bike I have EVER ridden and I love it...I think It has been a good bike to learn on for the most part...

·
Registered
41 Posts
[QUOTE=specv .
Im a bigger guy 6'1 250 and im not sure if the bike would really be too small for me. I got other friends saying id look goofy on such a "small" (i disagree) bike and should get a fatboy or a roadking or something.I agree get a ZX1000-
that bike will fit you better and you wont have to trade for another bike for a while and youll smoke all your friends bikes too!!: :nana

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
specv said:
Im a bigger guy 6'1 250 and im not sure if the bike would really be too small for me. I got other friends saying id look goofy on such a "small" (i disagree) bike and should get a fatboy or a roadking or something.I agree get a ZX1000-
that bike will fit you better and you wont have to trade for another bike for a while and youll smoke all your friends bikes too!!: :nana

the 10r is a bit too expensive and I think a bit to powerful for me. Besides its the same physical size. If you jump up to a 14 now thats a bigger bike

·
Registered
17 Posts
Same here. I just bought a 07' Ninja and this is my FIRST bike. I caught hell in a couple of these forums because my first time on any bike was when I rode it from the dealership..... And the fact that I learned how to change gears from watchin UTUBE the night before didn't help my cause. LOL. But I love my bike and its only going on a couple of weeks but I haven't dropped my baby yet.

My standpoint is the same as yours... Why buy a piece of shit bike when you can have something you really want for a couple grand more. But from what people were telling me, you can sell those smaller bikes for about the same price you paid for it.. So I don' t know.... I'd just go ahead and buy that 07 and be careful.

·
Registered
526 Posts
My standpoint is the same as yours... Why buy a piece of shit bike when you can have something you really want for a couple grand more.
well, some people like to make sure they get the hang of it, the whole point of it is like they said before, jus so you make sure u kno what ur doing. i mean why would u take a chance with a brand spankin new bike and ruin it, when you could do it on a used bike you dont plan on being ur pride an joy. for 1 it would be less painful to watch and you would gain confidence. besides, its all for the same price anyways, u buy the bike, go bargain hunting it would turn out better, after u do what need 2, then blue book it and use the bike as a down payment for the new bike like i said. in other words, say u buy a bike for $2,000 bargain, if the blue book is maybe $2,500, that worth goes 2 the new bike, u jus profitted $500, $8,999-$2,500= $6,499 u only have 2 pay. well.... i dunno wtf im sayin i jus worked 13hrs and its about 4:48 in the morning.... eh... thats my 3 more cents for a grand total of a nickel.

·
Registered
41 Posts
ok this is reason..the NINJA 600 is the same as a ZX1000..in dimension as they are about the same size and weight but the zx1000 costs more..so get a used zx1400-[2006]same price as new zx600-and you wont have to trade up for a while...?gosh, this makes so much sense i should have done this!!

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
if it makes a difference RI has a mandatory motorcycle training program(basically drivers ed for motorcycles). I beleive it is the only state that does this. It is 8 hours in a classroom with a written test. Then (2) 5 hour classes on a rebel 250 actaully driving it around. Then a road test on the bike at the end of the 2nd class.

But its not over yet, now you have to get a permit and get 30 days of riding experience with another licensed driver driving with you before you can even get your license.

·
Registered
63 Posts
600 are def alot more power than you would think. i owend a 750 prior and was surprised by the power my 01 zx6r has. however wht i would think about is how fast do you think you will out grow it. if you think you would step up quick dont waste the money on the 6.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts