Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Is it okay to rotate the gear shifter leaver up two notches (counter-clockwise)?

I am now using my super duper heavy duty steel toe logger boots, which are slightly wider and thicker than my other riding boots. I have been having trouble pointing my foot downwards and sliding my boot in between the foot peg and the gear shifter leaver every time I want to change gears. I had been thinking of buying a new gear shifter leaver (designed for bigger boots, if such a thing has been invented), when I finally remembered today that the leaver is adjustable. So tonight I moved it up 2 clicks (counter-clockwise). But I am wondering if this will be a problem when I want to put my left foot flat on the peg (with the heel touching the back of the peg). I'll try it out tomorrow to see if it interferes with putting my left foot flat on the peg -- I understand the balls of the feet are where it's at for sport bikes, but there are certainly going to be times where I will want to be flat footed on the peg.

Is there a special gear shift leaver that I should be looking to buy that would be better suited for this particular issue?

·
Administrator
58,646 Posts
I tried moving my lever and it didn't work for me. You'll find yourself having to lift up your foot to make the shift instead of just moving/rocking your foot, if that makes sense.:tard
Also you'll be doing the same for the downshifts. Since the lever will be up high, you'll have to bring your foot off the peg to make the downshift.
I found that riding boots work better than work boots.
I was going to get a Cycle Pirate adjustable lever.
http://cyclepirates.com/main/select_bikes_from_productline?productline_id=9

·
Forum Leaders
19,944 Posts
You should buy riding boots and then you wont have an issue. They are designed for shifting motorcycle gears. Super duty work boots are not.

Probably cheaper than buying a fully adjustable rear set with gear selector anyway :dunno

·
27,825 Posts
You should buy riding boots and then you wont have an issue. They are designed for shifting motorcycle gears. Super duty work boots are not.

Probably cheaper than buying a fully adjustable rear set with gear selector anyway :dunno
Yeah Blue is right, and so is EZ. Get some riding boots dude!

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you. Yes, I too was concerned about the prospect of taking my left foot off the peg to down-shift. Based on your comments, I will start off with just one notch counter-clockwise from the stock position and see if that helps. It will be slightly better than before, and should enable me to keep the left foot on the peg when down-shifting. It is a good thing I asked this question, because (now that all of you helped me think more about it) taking the left foot off the peg to downshift could be a safety issue depending upon the situation.

My regular heavy duty Red Wing steel toe loggers work okay with the stock positioning of the gear shifter leaver on the ZX-14R, but the super heavy duty pair do not. I would like to use the super heavy duty pair, if possible. Perhaps just one-notch counter-clockwise will make the difference.

I will also consider getting a pair of riding boots, but I prefer steel-toe boots.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep, that did, one notch counter-clockwise from stock position lets me keep the left foot on the peg to downshift, and gives me just enough room to up-shift with my super heavy duty Red Wing steel-toe logger boots. Issue resolved. Thank you very much everyone for your help -- especially the part about keeping the foot on the peg at all times when shifting in either direction.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts