Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

is it Necessary to lube after it rains? While parked?

4K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  Singularity 
#1 ·
It rained hard yesterday, my bike was parked outside. I didn't ride it obviously.
But it got me thinking, being exposed to hard rain like that, would the chain need a quick lube afterwards?

#4 ·
My bike sits outside 24/7 for the last year, barring winter of course.

It's perfectly fine, aside from needing a new head bearing. I certainly don't go outside and lube the thing every single day.

#7 ·
Depends on what kind of lube you use. If you use a wax spray like Maxima you won't need to re-lube as it sticks on and coats the chain. Wax sprays are very water and rust resistant. It won't wash off from sitting in rain. It only comes off due from extended use and a bit quicker if you're riding in the rain...

Liquid spray lubes will wash off for the most part and aren't great rust preventatives like JSharp said.

The problem with wax lubes is that you have to have a completely clean chain before applying which means it takes a bit more work cleaning the chain before you spray it on. Unlike standard liquid spray lubes you can't just spray it on. But I think in the long run wax provides better wear and rust protection.

All this said, there is no harm in re-lubing the chain... Its always better to do more chain maintenance than less.

#8 ·
I knew wax was goof for bicicle chains, but motorcycles, nawl. That´s news for me. The more I lubed the chain with flinger engine oil, I still got one link out of specs :banghead. The rest of the chain (99%) was still like new with 32k miles. So ... I would prefer a more linear and homogenic wear than a localized problem. That sucks...

#10 ·
thats why i use chain WAX not chain lube. stays on a bit better.

But i normally give the easy to get to areas of the chain a quick spray after anything over 200 miles anyways. I don't put the bike on a stand or anything, just spray what i can see. might just be giving me peace of mind, but i tend to feel the desire to keep the single element that gives my bike it's ability to go the most protection i can. without a chain you dont go no where. same for the engine but that's not seeing any damage from the outside elements so much as the chain.

#11 ·
Anyone using Pro Honda's product, spray on Chain Lube with "Moly"? How does it compare, I don't know much about the differences between these products but for the cost, would like to use the best, most protective one I can find.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.