Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
on today's fuel injected motorcycles, can you do any harm or is there anything negative coming from running out of gas on your motorcycle??

i was in seattle late last night around midnight and i ran out of gas in medina...eeeek that was the first time that happened. looks like the reserve on the 10r will only do about 40 miles, i guess now i know though.

·
Registered
62 Posts
you should be ok...the ECU works so hard to keep the ratio correct..when the fuel isn't there it should try to correct itself..by taking off some advance of the timing and adjusting ignition curves..all of it happens so fast and the bike jus loses power and poops out.when the gas isnt there...i think it should be ok.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
my other concern was the fuel pump, doesnt it need the fuel to act as a coolant. so what are the chances that the heat will damage the fuel pump because its not submerged in with the gas.

maybe im being too paranoid.

·
Registered
66 Posts
hey an $11k is a good reason to be noid, but i'm gonna be positive for ya and say"you will be o.k." just dont let it happen again, or we'll be placing you on double secret probation:runaway

·
Registered
199 Posts
Dont think you will have a problem with the fuel pump. It will take more than a few seconds to heat it up. By the time you figure out you are out of fuel and turn off the key a minute surely hasnt elapsed.
The lean condition caused by fuel starvation (going empty) is a concern to Kawi and the other manufacturers . It causes an excessive heating of the cat con. That is the main reason they did away with the old style reserve valve,To eliminate the continual running out of fuel and overheating the cat con. The occasional woops I am outta gas should have no impact imho.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
My question is regarding the amount of fuel left when the light comes on.

I'm a little paranoid, and usually try to get fuel right away once the light comes on and the display flashes "fuel".

The manual says that once that happens, you have 4 gallons left. Now, do we assume that it's Cdn or US gallons?

Does the light start to flash when you get really low? Or is that the only warning, the light being on.

I would like to push it a little further to know what I can get away with, but don't want to run out totally.

Beans: did the fuel light eventually flash? If so, how much longer did you go before you... um didn't go no more??

·
Premium Member
4,286 Posts
carry a few liters with you and ride around the block till it coughs, then you will know.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Swoosh said:
My question is regarding the amount of fuel left when the light comes on.

I'm a little paranoid, and usually try to get fuel right away once the light comes on and the display flashes "fuel".

The manual says that once that happens, you have 4 gallons left. Now, do we assume that it's Cdn or US gallons?

Does the light start to flash when you get really low? Or is that the only warning, the light being on.

I would like to push it a little further to know what I can get away with, but don't want to run out totally.

Beans: did the fuel light eventually flash? If so, how much longer did you go before you... um didn't go no more??
Hopefully you mean quarts?

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Sorry. I meant litres. Was tired. Oddly enough, my owners manual says:

"The fuel level warning light goes on and 'FUEL' flashes in the digital meter when only 4.0L (4.2 US gal) of fuel remains. Refuel at the earliest opportunity when the fuel level warning light goes on and 'FUEL' flashes."

1 - 9 of 9 Posts