Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to pick up a motor off of Ebay for a project and found one that looks really clean on the outside. It has 22K miles according to the seller. Is this considered a lot for this motor even if assuming worst case its ridden hard?

·
Premium Member
3,530 Posts
Looking to pick up a motor off of Ebay for a project and found one that looks really clean on the outside. It has 22K miles according to the seller. Is this considered a lot for this motor even if assuming worst case its ridden hard?
Tough call. Unless you know how it was taken care of or how the bike was ridden you'll be taking a chance, no matter what.

I know a guy who had one blow on him at around 22k, but that was a track bike and I'm not sure what type of maintenance schedule he upheld.

Mine is at 26k with no signs of wear or problems, but I'm really meticulous with maintenance, don't wheelie my bike, and don't do burnouts.

I've heard of a few cases where they ran up into the 90k range and there are some members of this forum who have over 50k on their 7 motors... It all depends.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Yes. Worst case 20K "could" be a lot of miles. Rode hard oil never changed or valves adjusted. On the other hand with just a little TLC these engines will go a 100K or more. Get as much history as you can. Good luck!

·
Registered
87 Posts
pluss if its a ebay motor with 20k its prob more like 30 or 40k..how much is he askin?

·
Registered
87 Posts
it deff looks super clean but theres no alternator or starter.are you puttin the motor in a bike or building a badass 4wheeler or somethin?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah going in a quad. Already have all the accessories.

Its going to cost at least $200 to ship any motor regardless of condition. So I don't think $600 is really that high. Considering they haven't made a "new" ZX7 motor in nearly 10 years its getting tougher and tougher to find low mile motors. I don't mind spending a little more but finding something under 10K mi is tough. They are just not out there...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts