Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
Im new to this forum, so this serve as my introduction as well.
I just picked up an 1987 ZX750F a couple weeks ago, with 27k on the clock for a couple hundred bucks. Its a project bike (my second bike right now), and my plan is to turn it into a 'modern' cafe racer over the winter. I'm thinking zx7r usd forks and swingarm, a vintage gas tank, one-off buttstop tail and subframe and dual undertail exhaust.

Well, as of right now ive pulled off most everything i wont be needing (if anyone needs parts let me know - ive got most everything in pretty decent shape). But my junction box is dunzo. It fails the starter circuit test. So I need a new one, but I havent been able to find an exact replacement on fleabay. So does anyone know if I can use a junction box intended for another bike? Maybe a ZX600C (judging from the manual) or an early ZX7?

On a related note, anyone have a junction box for the 87-90 750R?

Another swap I'm having trouble researching down to an exact answer is if a ZX7 header will fit on my motor. I believe the earliest version (H model) header would fit, but again havent found any good examples on fleabay. So what about the later model bikes?

Thanks in advance to anyone who responds, and its nice to meet everyone! Seems like a great forum so far!

·
Premium Member
6,582 Posts
Hi everyone,
Im new to this forum, so this serve as my introduction as well.
I just picked up an 1987 ZX750F a couple weeks ago, with 27k on the clock for a couple hundred bucks. Its a project bike (my second bike right now), and my plan is to turn it into a 'modern' cafe racer over the winter. I'm thinking zx7r usd forks and swingarm, a vintage gas tank, one-off buttstop tail and subframe and dual undertail exhaust.

Well, as of right now ive pulled off most everything i wont be needing (if anyone needs parts let me know - ive got most everything in pretty decent shape). But my junction box is dunzo. It fails the starter circuit test. So I need a new one, but I havent been able to find an exact replacement on fleabay. So does anyone know if I can use a junction box intended for another bike? Maybe a ZX600C (judging from the manual) or an early ZX7?

On a related note, anyone have a junction box for the 87-90 750R?

Another swap I'm having trouble researching down to an exact answer is if a ZX7 header will fit on my motor. I believe the earliest version (H model) header would fit, but again havent found any good examples on fleabay. So what about the later model bikes?

Thanks in advance to anyone who responds, and its nice to meet everyone! Seems like a great forum so far!
Welcome to the forum.

89-90 ZX7's are the same engine bottom end as your 750R. The heads are different. The difference in the head was the angle the carbs were mounted. Exhaust spacing should be the same, but I can't guarantee that. There are a couple people on here with 1st gen ZX7's. If you ask nice one of them might measure their bike's header for you.

As for any other year interchanging; no. The spacing is competely different.

Go to :
http://www.ronayers.com/

and research your junction box. They use factory Kawasaki part numbers on their site. Look yours up then punch it into the search box and the site will show all bikes with the same part number. Then , if any others interchange, you'll have an expanded group of bikes to look for your box.

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
I have a 1st header I am not going to use. It's a little flat on the bottom from bottoming out I guess but its not leaking or anything.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to the forum.

89-90 ZX7's are the same engine bottom end as your 750R. The heads are different. The difference in the head was the angle the carbs were mounted. Exhaust spacing should be the same, but I can't guarantee that. There are a couple people on here with 1st gen ZX7's. If you ask nice one of them might measure their bike's header for you.

As for any other year interchanging; no. The spacing is competely different.

Go to :
http://www.ronayers.com/

and research your junction box. They use factory Kawasaki part numbers on their site. Look yours up then punch it into the search box and the site will show all bikes with the same part number. Then , if any others interchange, you'll have an expanded group of bikes to look for your box.

Thanks 2fat2fly! Thats good information. I've looked over the kawasaki fiche and came up with the conclusion that the junction box for the 87-90 ZX750F was made only for this bike... looking at diagram in my manual, it appears that the internal wiring was very similar to that of the zx600c. But Im not an expert with wiring and I dont want to fry anything by using the wrong box. But maybe I'll just have to cross my fingers and give it a shot.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts