1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys
I just picked up a 1993 ZX7. It's not the prettiest thing:

But for the price I paid I'm happy.
I put new fuel lines on it and got fuel to the petcock. Cranked it a bit and it started on starting fluid but wouldn't stay running. The fuel filter had fuel in it. I removed the fuel line from the carbs and not that much fuel came out.
My fuel pump doesn't make any discernible noise. My old CBR900RR and FZR600 fuel pumps would make noise when you first turned the key.

Should the fuel pump make noise?

Thanks

PS: Does anyone have a good right side fairing for my paint scheme?

·
VP Whoring
14,930 Posts
Welcome.

And can I have the green rims?

·
Premium Member
6,582 Posts
Welcome. Stock bodywork in good condition is going to be hard to find. Finding it with your paint job in good condition might be nearly impossible. How long has your bike been sitting? You'll want to give the carbs a good cleaning if it's sat any length of time.

·
Registered
50 Posts
The fuel pump on my 2000 doesn't make any noise, like you I was used to hearing it on my other bikes. I second the suggestion that the carbs will likely need to be cleaned and have the o-rings replaced.

·
Registered
674 Posts
The pump doesn't run when you turn the key. If you want to prime the carbs, you need to put the bike in gear (1st or 2nd, doesn't matter) then hit the starter. Do not hold the clutch in. You should hear the fuel pump clicking way. If it doesn't then it means the pump thinks your floats are full. If your floats clearly arn't full (ie no fuel in the lines) then something is probably wrong with the pump.

·
Registered
78 Posts
as Sixstring said the pump does not kick in when you turn the key BUT if the clutch safety switch has been removed the pump wont work while trying to start in gear either,
best to try jumping the pump to see if it works, pump is fed off the 1&4 coil so can take about 45 seconts of cranking to fill the float bowls

·
Registered
152 Posts
When I first saw your picture I thought, WTH kinda of handle bars you had on that thing but then I realized there was a bicycle sitting behind it. :crackup

Good luck with getting it back together amd running right.

·
Premium Member
6,582 Posts
Looks good. Have you rode her yet?

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nope I've been itching to. Perhaps tonight once I get the side fairings mounted :crazyloco

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

All together :)
Didn't have a chance to ride it though, tooooooooooo cold (22*)

·
Registered
559 Posts
Hey I'm Garrett too! :tard
Bike looks good man. Nice el Camino by the way

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
In terms of the fuel pump, I don't think the pump primes like you can with the P models.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It still needs about a hundred bucks worth of work, rear passenger seat, rear center trim piece, rear tail lamp and the trim that goes on the right of the cluster.
If you happen to have any of this, pm me :)

·
Premium Member
6,582 Posts
It still needs about a hundred bucks worth of work, rear passenger seat, rear center trim piece, rear tail lamp and the trim that goes on the right of the cluster.
Show me a picture of what you're missing on the tail. And you're gonna have to post some pictures of your FZR.... I want to see that beast.

·
Premium Member
3,530 Posts
Show me a picture of what you're missing on the tail. And you're gonna have to post some pictures of your FZR.... I want to see that beast.
Do L models and P models share the same tail lamps? I have a spare from when I swapped out my P model's OEM for a smoked LED.

·
Premium Member
6,582 Posts
Do L models and P models share the same tail lamps? I have a spare from when I swapped out my P model's OEM for a smoked LED.
No, totally different.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts