Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm going to copy/paste a post I made to another forum and try to include all the information I can. I hope someone else has experienced something similar to this and can lend some advice! Also, I ride a 2002 ZX600E-10.

Went to start the bike this morning while it was rather cold outside. The bike turned over but would not start at all. I tried for 2-3 minutes with the choke and without the choke and stopped before ruining the starter. It was about 30 degrees overnight and I had the bike outside.
I went to work and came home just now and figured I'd give it a shot real quick before I break out the multimeter.
Without the choke she started right up and is idling just fine as I write this. It is now about 50 degrees outside.
Any ideas what the problem could be? Just cold weather? If that is the case it is unfortunate because I am planning a trip where I will be riding through cold weather and camping later in the year.
Thanks all!
Update: Multimeter read 12.5v, battery seems to be fine. So I guess now I am just fishing for what the issue could be when a bike turns over but won't start, but then later in the day it fires right up.

Next post...

The problem just happened again about an hour ago..
I was out for a long ride, after about an hours worth of riding I pull into a parking lot to stretch/relax for 15 minutes. I go back to start the bike and it does not start, it just turns over. Try for a minute and nothing. So, I turn the bike off, put it on its center stand, make a phone call, come back and turn the bike on, no choke, hit the ignition switch and it fired right up as if nothing happened.

EDIT: Fast forward to yesterday morning -- Got up for work and went to fire the bike up around 6:30 AM, put the choke on full and hit the ignition and it just turned over and over and over but would not fire up. Came back from work around 3:30 and get out of my truck, go over to the bike, turn it on, NO CHOKE, hit it ignition and it fires right up and idles beautifully.

FAST FORWARD TO THIS MORNING: Just went out to start the bike without the choke and it did fire up but died (I imagine because it is about 40 degrees out and it sat outside overnight). Put the choke on and tried starting again and it also fired right up and is idling fine as I write this.

Replies I got from the other forum seem to be carb related/flooding. Someone also mentioned perhaps it is too rich since the bike can start just fine without the choke even after sitting overnight.

Any and all advice greatly appreciated! Banging my head against a wall here!

·
Premium Member
15,095 Posts
Are you trying to start in gear or in neutral?

Side stand up or down?

Are you sure the kill switch is in the run position?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you trying to start in gear or in neutral?

Side stand up or down?

Are you sure the kill switch is in the run position?
Yes, checked all of these. Just added another update (5 minutes ago).

Always start in neutral, kick stand is always down and the kill switch is in the right position.

:banghead

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
Sounds rich and you need to sync. Turn the pilots in half a turn and get them synced.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts