Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

So the bikes having a bit of a problem and it goes something like this...

About a month ago the battery went flat, it was charged and wasn't long before it was dying again so i bought a new one but this time I bought the lithium Iron.

all kinda worked OK so I thought nothing of it, but the other day I fortunately pulled up to a bike shop and it wouldn't start, no electrics when the key is turned, we pulled it apart and determined that the ground was possibly the issue so cleaned it up and all started back up.

No I tried to start it yesterday in about -1 deg C and it wouldn't fire, I'd left it out all night but it shouldn't not start... Battery was showing 11.9v. I switched off and back on, waited for the system to reset and tried again, this time it still wouldn't fire but reset all the clocks to zero. I shut off waited a few seconds and tried again, after as few turn overs it fired up....

I'm getting a little worried it might be something major... thoughts? battery should be good in that temp. I've now resorted to putting the cover over it when its out at night. I'm also showing 14v when riding so it appears to be charging.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I am a bit unclear (nothin new there) - is it turning over but not starting, or not turning over. If it's not turning over, are the lights on and bright? Is the display on? Are there clicking sounds when you engage the key?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Beethoven

Its was turning over but not starting, when you turn the key everything does as it should, pump starts and needles move. Then just trying to fire it up it just didn't want to fire up.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Has to be either fuel or spark I would think since it is turning over but not starting. Did it start acting up after a wash, or hard rain? (Water in electrical connections??) Good luck and let us know!

·
Registered
418 Posts
At this point it is hard to say what the problem might be. I am wondering about the clocks resetiing to zero. Jst a shot in the dark - check all the electrical connections under the seat - examine the wires for fraying or breakage. Maybe you will get lucky? Just for mischeif - what is battery voltage while you are cranking the motor over? Sometimes there is a voltage below which the ECU will not function - usually around 9 volts. Have you looked at the shop manual for troubleshooting?

·
Premium Member
913 Posts
Anything under 12.0 Vdc is essentially a dead battery. A fully charged battery s/b ~ 12.7 Vdc. When driving your bike the Battery voltage s/b ~14.0 Vdc, the bike is charging it as you ride. Suggest you pull the battery, slowly charge up to full charge and get a battery load tester from Harbor Freight or FLAPS and check the load, who knows maybe you got a bad battery??

·
Quinton Phuckin Tarantino
18,914 Posts
Does It have a power commander or some other tuner ?

·
Registered
773 Posts
I think its all battery related. New battery and make sure the POS/NEG terminal bolts are tight. Make sure you have the grounds off the battery secure, there is one right under the cover just a bit towards the front that bolts to the chassis.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thanks all. I'll take a look at the ground as I suspect that may be a problem and I'll also try and tighten up the terminals...

Just to add some more details, I left it for a few days and started her up, it's still cold here and the battery was over 12v before I cranked it. It took a couple of seconds to fire and then died, cranked again and fired up and ran with the choke on.

The bike has D&D race cans, a K&N air filter, no power commander and no secondary flies as I removed them. I'm not sure why the clocks reset to 0 but im thinking I might need to get the ECM mapped or consider a power commander. I use to live in Florida when the air is warmer all year round and now im up in Boston the air is denser probably requiring more fuel. That and the fat the K&N air filter allows more air in so this probably doesn't help. I might have to get the battery (Shorai Lithium Ion) tested, not something I can do myself. (added) It also has HID's so if it doesn't fire the first time the HID's are on if I don't turn the ignition off.... I just remembered this so maybe that's part of my electrical problem and the rest is fuel.

Thanks again all!

Again I'll check all connection

·
Registered
773 Posts
You say choke on the ZX14??? Its fuel injected and no choke. I would stick with a AGM battery like the Big Crank which has more CCA's then the stock battery.

Yes, if the bike starts and then dies the headlights do stay on. But when you press the start button the lights go out and the engine cranks over to start.

PS: The clocks reset to zero because one of the battery terminals lost its connection briefly.

·
Premium Member
13,204 Posts
It's the battery. Lithium batteries require a special charger and if one was not used to fully charge it from new, it's probably a boat anchor at this point.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys, Choke was more of a generic term to signify that it runs at a higher rpm when warming up... Now I'm curious as to how that all actually works, 02 sensor? I'll look into it.
Battery was charged then I unwrapped it, the destructions say that this particular model can use a regular battery charger for a maint free bat, I believe the old types couldn't do this but I could be wrong.

Thanks again I'll keep you posted as it seems to be running and starting fine at the moment...

·
Registered
773 Posts
It's the battery. Lithium batteries require a special charger and if one was not used to fully charge it from new, it's probably a boat anchor at this point.
A very light boat anchor that is.....

Get rid of it and buy a decent AGM standard battery.

PS: you mention a O2 sensor, your ZX14 if its a 2006 does not have one.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I had a similar problem and it turned out to be a bad ground. I tightened and cleaned the ground and it didnt fix the problem. After an hour of other troubleshooting and cussing, I checked the ground again and cleaned it again and it has worked for almost a year now with no problems. Weird, but worked.

·
Registered
418 Posts
When I said 9 volts, I was referring to the voltage when you are cranking the motor over. If the battery has a high internal resistance, the voltage will drop accross the high internal resistance. If the total system voltage drops below nine volts many ECU's won't work. Easy solution. Disconnect the battery completely. Get some jumper cables and hook up your car battery - be careful to not touch the frame. Leave the car off. Try the bike. If it starts right up, the battery is the problem.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts