Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just finished installing a set of LSL frame sliders on my '01 ZX6R today. It really wasn't as hard as i thought it would be, even with cutting the hole in the fairings. I found a nice little write up on a CBR forum that helped a lot.

http://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=30462

Instead of using the metal dowel I used a Sharpie marker (one short and one regular size) and it worked perfect. Anyone thinking of doing this themselves should check out the link.

I'll post some pic's in the next few day.:mfclap

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Some brands use an adapter or bracket so that you don't have to cut the fairing or they mount somewhere other than the engine mounts. Always read deeper when it says no cutting required.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lots of people say that.... It's not like the sliders are going anywhere. To each their own..... I don't see what the big deal is, unless you screw it up and don't get the holes in the right place.:headscratch

·
Registered
138 Posts
nah, i think, just me tho, now. cutting at those very expensive plastics just don't make sense :headscratch also for some that are not mechanically inclined, like myself cutting anything expensive is very unnerving :eek:hno i like the look of the no cuts myself and keeping those expensive plastics intact makes good sense fund wise. as they say, to each their own. those LSL frame sliders do look good tho. you did a great job :clap

·
Registered
14 Posts
The problem is, the no cut sliders just snap off when the bike hits the ground. so now you have spent money on sliders that broke off in the fairing hole and you have ruined plastics cuz they dont hold the bike off the gound when they hit. the only sliders that actually do any thing are the ones that mount into the engine mount. which means if you want to protect your plastic, you have to cut a hole.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
+1

These are the cold hard facts. I looked at all kinds of sliders and the only that were 'no cut' mounted to the main fairing bolt hole.... not gonna do much good when 400 lbs. falls down.....

·
Registered
138 Posts
The problem is, the no cut sliders just snap off when the bike hits the ground. so now you have spent money on sliders that broke off in the fairing hole and you have ruined plastics cuz they dont hold the bike off the gound when they hit. the only sliders that actually do any thing are the ones that mount into the engine mount. which means if you want to protect your plastic, you have to cut a hole.
actually, that's not true. i've witness the frame mount sliders break off as well first hand. the bike was an R1, shogun sliders. the whole sider on the left when seated snapped off as the bike went down. the whole left side was a complete mess. all that was left was a spot where that slider was. i would have taken pictures of the scene. but, didn't want to embarrass the rider nor do him any more ego damage. the bike was very nice. anyway, i think the sliders are basically useless beyond a certain speed. this is just me but, i didn't buy the sliders to save the bike when doing those canyon runs. i bought them to save the expensive plastics from dropping the bike.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thats true, beyound a certain speed i don't think it really matters but the sliders that mount to the engine mounts are going to be able to take a bigger hit.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.