Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
my speedo sits at 10mph sitting still. at 5800 rpms i should be near 70 (when it was working fine) and now it bounces around 80-90, somtimes more(it was worse with my old one..ill get to that in a sec). so im assuming the the cable is giving the speedo the spring effect, its catching in 1 spot twisting-and increasing the speed from the release of getting stuck...i dont know

so before i go spend money (dont know how much itll cost, (but i know ill need to order it from kawi more than likely) ive looked over the cable and greased it, but didnt see any chaffed spots and it still had plenty of lube in there when i pulled it.

next thing, i had a bad coolant temp gauge-and i figured for 50 bucks, it was a steal for a broken housing gauge set from ebay, plus the tach read 2k miles on it. so i swapped the gauges into my housing (which has LED's in there, and i dont see how they could interfere or anything) but with the needle sitting at 10, should i blame the gear thing on the back that the cable mounts to, the gauge itself, or the cable? its kind of a pain in the ass to remove and reinstall this thing-so im lazy and wondering if anyone else has had the same issue-that way im not wasting time tearing it down 3 times trying to figuring it out.

for now, i speed match traffic in town-and highway i usually speed anyways, so as long as im under 6k im ok.

thanks in advance

·
Registered
88 Posts
It might be the thingy on the front axle that turns the cable ( cant recall what its called ). Maybe pull the cable out of the thing in the axle and put it in a drill and spin it to see if its still jumpy or if its smooth. If its smooth you know its the thing on the axle. If its jumpy, but the drill spins consistantly without resistance its the gauge.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Perhaps your bike is so damn fast that it needs taht head start on the speedometer just to catch up. :lol

·
Registered
279 Posts
Motion Pro makes a replacement speedo cable, available from any Parts-Unlimited dealer. It's $10-$15. They should not be greased, as it tends to bind them up. Cable lube is fine.

The worm drive is easy enough to check if the wheel is off. Just pry off the seal, clean it up, check for wear and regrease.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
im kind of leaning towards the gear on the back of the gauge-im not sure if i used the same one as before (but more than likely it is and i only changed the gauge itself) but with it sitting at 10 at a stop, and cruising about 70 its not so jumpy anymore, its just like 15-20 off...im guessing that maybe i just have 2 bad gauges (bummer)

when i changed my front tire a couple weeks ago i looked at the speedo drive and it seemed ok-i didnt grease it, it had plenty-but its not like its moving at 70 while im looking at it either. so ill swap around the drives on the gauges and then buy the cable-you know...cheap stuff first. thanks bozo, ill probly just order it online and get it shipped to the house-seems like a great deal...i dont know what oem charges, but the last time i went to them i ended up paying almost 20 bucks just for a banjo bolt for my brake caliper (then ofcourse a week goes by and i find the old one)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts