Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking for help or a color code explanation for the ignition switch on a 98zx7r

i *think* my switch is going bad, and sometimes the key will spin around much farther than others, and the bike will sporadically have spark and start when it wants.

I just want to bypass the switch all together and put a toggle in. i live out in the boondocks and dont worry about theft.

please reply or email me at [email protected] i need to get this problem resolved before i go on a big ride this weekend and dont want to get stranded.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Same question?? is this possible????

Im a newbie to the zx7 however i did buy an 05 636 new and put 18000 miles of trackdays, deals gap trips and stunt events for 4 years with no incidents (other than some major and minor traffic infractions) before selling iit about 6 moths ago to move out to colorado from ohio. had 5 dirtbikes since being out here (all kawis obviously) but i desprately missed the road.. which brings me to the bike im going to buy... its a 99 zx7 and it wont start due to some kind of ignition issue, or so he says, i havent got a chance to go pick it up yet though i fully intend to with in the week.... i was hoping to get a digital cdi and bypass the switch Is this possible???? furthuremore i cant seem to find a digi ignition anywhere for a 96+ its like they dont exist... anyone know where i can find one?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Im a newbie to the zx7 however i did buy an 05 636 new and put 18000 miles of trackdays, deals gap trips and stunt events for 4 years with no incidents (other than some major and minor traffic infractions) before selling iit about 6 moths ago to move out to colorado from ohio. had 5 dirtbikes since being out here (all kawis obviously) but i desprately missed the road.. which brings me to the bike im going to buy... its a 99 zx7 and it wont start due to some kind of ignition issue, or so he says, i havent got a chance to go pick it up yet though i fully intend to with in the week.... i was hoping to get a digital cdi and bypass the switch Is this possible???? furthuremore i cant seem to find a digi ignition anywhere for a 96+ its like they dont exist... anyone know where i can find one?

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
just buy another switch and replace it....... since your gonna have to pull the switch anyways to get to the wires just unplug it and plug the new one in.....less BS, less time, less stress........ lots of aftermarket direct replacements (EMGO, etc)

·
Registered
10 Posts
there are no aftermarket replacements for the 96-01 ZX7R, this switch uses resistors like the other Kaw switches, but is a 5 wire switch

just buy another switch and replace it....... since your gonna have to pull the switch anyways to get to the wires just unplug it and plug the new one in.....less BS, less time, less stress........ lots of aftermarket direct replacements (EMGO, etc)

·
Registered
10 Posts
this will sound simple, but you connect all the wires together except the grey one, connect the grey one to a 100 ohm resistor to the white wire, put the on-off switch from the rt bar in series in the white wire. (remember to conect the old wires from the rt switch together)
now the rt bar switch is the ignition and kill switch

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
white-in 12v
brown-out 12v
gray- 6v out to cdi.. anti theft circuit thru 100 ohm resistor
.. the other 2 wires are 12v lighting circuit outputs

·
Registered
1 Posts
could u help me?? have same prob and kind of understand what to do . jus a lil more detail on what wires go to the on off switch red in color. i want to make that the main button to turn power on and start. i thank u 4 any help to get her running again. and this was all frm me layin the bike down and the brown wire broke frm ignition. now no keyed ing and 2 expe 2 buy rite now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hey bud, i am wanting to do this mod to eliminate ignition and run the kill switch as the ignition on/off...do I connect the grey wire to a 100 ohm resistor and then to the white wire, then the others connect to each other...did I get that correct?

·
Registered
1 Posts
It would seem like the thing to do would be to just replace the ignition switch by reputable Locksmith. They are cheap and readily available. To splice the wires together in such a way that it would have everything working correctly would involve having some sort of switch in the system, locksmiths are affordable and highly skilled guys.They will definitely solve your problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
this will sound simple, but you connect all the wires together except the grey one, connect the grey one to a 100 ohm resistor to the white wire, put the on-off switch from the rt bar in series in the white wire. (remember to conect the old wires from the rt switch together)
now the rt bar switch is the ignition and kill switch
What do you mean by in series with the kill switch

·
7,120 Posts
The outside looks the same. It's still a Chinese switch at that price and I've never seen one have the resistor in it on this cheapies.

Plug it in and before you even try to start it turn the key on, grab a meter and you will see the the grey wire has more than 6 volts. If more than 6 volts it will not start because you will have no spark and no fuel pump.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The outside looks the same. It's still a Chinese switch at that price and I've never seen one have the resistor in it on this cheapies.

Plug it in and before you even try to start it turn the key on, grab a meter and you will see the the grey wire has more than 6 volts. If more than 6 volts it will not start because you will have no spark and no fuel pump.
Ok will do thanks

1 - 19 of 19 Posts