Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a ZX11 ignition question and I figure Claude will answer it cuz he seems to know everything there is to know about this bike.

I have a '90 ZX11. Its mostly stock with the following exceptions: Jet kit, degree'd cams, aftermarket 4 into 1, chain and sprockets, K&N filter. I think thats it.

I read that a lot of guys have ignition advancers. I don't know much about it, but I know that if it equals HP, then I need one. Especially cuz I'm chasing every tenth at the drag strip.

Question: How does it work/ what does it do? I assume it gives you more advance at higher rpms. The ZX11 uses a digital box for this right? not a mechanical advance? Is it good for a significant gain? Easy to install? Easy to tune? Who makes it? Where do I get it? How much does it cost? (haha, like cost even matters ... like the junkyard guy in MadMax says "speeds a matter of money, how fast you wanna go?")

Any advice is appreciated.
T

·
Registered
199 Posts
The only ignition advancers i have ever seen for a ZX11 are of the static type. They are a plate that replaces the oem ignitor rotor with one that is adjustable. You set it at a specific timing , either + or - how many degress you wish. It stays at that setting until you readjust it.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
I do not really believe in ignition advancer, mainly for two reasons:

1- "Sportbike Performance Handbook" by Kevin Cameron, page 84:
"...These are ignition trigger wheels for modern bikes, shifted slightly (typically five degrees) from stock, to advance timing. These often do nothing but cause hotter running - especially of spark plugs. They are based on the fuzzy idea that bigger is better, but the germ of truth in them is that stock timing at peak torque is often retarded from MBT by half a degree in the interest of making spark plugs last longer. Power varies little in the vicinity of MBT, but plug life is inversely proportional to something ridiculous like the fifth power of electrode temperature, so a little retard makes the plugs last a lot longer and loses almost no power. There are easier and better ways to make power than an ignition advancer. But if it makes significantly more power on the dyno, shows quicker laptimes, or ETs better at the strip, by all means use it. Speed is truth. But if it doesn't - it's just kinetic art, and doesn't belong on your bike.".

2- On all the reading I made over the net about ZX11 owners that had one installed, I'm still looking for a single one that got an HP increase on the dyno...

In conclusion, you can try it but don't hold your breath too long.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Maybe the timing advance doesn't have much effect on peak horsepower, but does it have any effect on the power curve on the way up to peak? More area under the curve, in other words?

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Maybe the timing advance doesn't have much effect on peak horsepower, but does it have any effect on the power curve on the way up to peak? More area under the curve, in other words?
Yes, that's supposed to be the main purpose of advancing timing. But most noticed no gain. Again, you could try it; if your bike reacts positively, then it's good for you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts