Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1993 Zx-7 L Model, 2006 ZX-10R
4,882 Posts
Does any have the pin out and voltage for 95 zx9r igniter
What problem are you trying to solve? No Start? No dash lights? Both? No power to any of the electricals?

·
Registered
4,882 Posts
Trying to verify if the black box is bad.
Use a DVM/multi-meter to test volts, ohms and amps that's coming into and going out of the igniter via the harness. Japanese electronics like these rarely fail. But, when/if they do fail, they don't give any symptoms beforehand.

I was inquiring about what symptoms your bike was having to prevent you from spending unnecessary money and launching the parts cannon on it.
Crank No start?
No lights?
No start, no lights?
No spark?
Starter not engaging?

The only alternative may be a Dyna2000. I know they replace the complete ignition system on old school bikes but not sure about one that already had an ignition box.

Later, Doug
I've seen a few road-going zx7 with the Dyna2000 ignition system installed. You have to be super committed to install it properly and be happy with it. They're good systems. But, personally, I would only consider replacing the OEM with the Dyna2000 if I couldn't get my hands on another igniter after verifying the original has failed.

Reactions: quisp

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hello there. Sorry you are having this trouble with our most excellent ZX9R model. I own two of them. My 96 ZX9R I have owned since I bought it new in 1995. It is my best friend, it has always taken care of me on long trips.

1. First off, the tests you need to do, if any, with that igniter box, are in the factory service manual. Those manuals are available on eBay. Save a search for one if you don't find at least a web download purchase option for it on eBay. I guarantee you will find listings both in North America and in Europe. Don't be afraid to by from German or UK sellers or other countries over there. I have bought lots of spare parts from European sellers both private and wrecking yards.

2. Regarding the Dyna products, their coils have failed in my ZX9R twice now, leaving me both times in the middle of nowhere. Once was in the middle of the desert on my way home from an 8,000 mile trip I took to Biketoberfest in Daytona Beach, FL from Seattle one October back in I think 2001. Needless to say I switched back to the stock ignition system and no more problems. I will never buy their products again. The quality control is terrible. I did use a Dyna control unit in my Ducati that I road raced in WA and OR during 1996-2001 and it worked fine in that bike but I used the stock Ducati coils. But racing is short time use, it is not like using it in a bike on the street where you can be riding for 8-10 hours/day for a couple of weeks on a road trip. If you DNF in racing you get a ride back to the pits with your bike in the back of a flat bed truck.

3. You can find the igniter boxes on eBay. I have a permanently saved search for them and I have bought several over the years to keep as spares for my two bikes. I even found a NOS igniter box that I bought from a parts distributor about 10 years ago. Be patient, you will find a used box. Before you purchase it, ask the seller to send proof the bike was running prior to removal of the box. If they don't know if it ran before parting out then negotiate down on the price. The more ethical motorcycle wreckers take a video of the motorcycle running, and they will open the throttle a few times in the video. I bought a complete ZX9R engine on eBay after viewing the video of the bike running prior to them parting out the bike.

Reactions: 92Ninjas

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info. I will check into looking for a spare igniter. I love my ZX9R. I'm trying to make it a custom setup. Yet in the process I laid her down . Now I'm getting all the chrome pieces redone, and some of the fairings are beingey repaired.Yet the real problem when I checked the ICU for the ohms they were not in spec, and the box was putting out 12v at the ground wire. So I have very little spark at the plugs. Every once in a while it will try to crank for about 2 sec. Then it takes a while. I have purchased brand new coils and wires. All ground wires have tested and it has a very hot battery. Anything else that i could possibly look at as far as electrical .

·
Registered
4,882 Posts
Yet the real problem when I checked the ICU for the ohms they were not in spec, and the box was putting out 12v at the ground wire. All ground wires have tested and it has a very hot battery. Anything else that i could possibly look at as far as electrical .
Something is fishy here. If the igniter is putting out 12v on the ground wire, then, shouldn't all your grounds be effected as well?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts