Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Assume use will be fun riding on mountain roads and a few track days per year. I have yet to find a suitable replacement, but carbureted bikes don't run well at varying elevation so I am once again considering a change. I love the comfort:sporting ratio of the 9R. I don't really need more power, but would appreciate a small increase along with lighter weight. Great electronics are desirable. I will do most of my riding on an Africa Twin so this is a toy for me, so to speak.

Suggestions?

I would like to test ride the S1000RR, Panigale, Monster 1200, Hypermotard, maybe Ninja 1000, and perhaps even some supermoto style bikes like a KTM 690R/Husq 701. This last option is appealing as it will quite literally slow me down, and likely still suffice for track use unless there are long straights.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I`v been looking at the cbr1000rr lately . I`m in love with my 98 zx9 but its gotten to a point where getting pilot/main jets and gaskets is beyond a joke .

looks like you missed out on the ducatti plate sale ,super sports were going for a song in aus

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I do not even really want the price or image of the ducati (I would definitely buy used), but my buddy claims the riding experience is worth the price of admission. I like the CBR as well but it seems to lag behind the pack for performance. Have you ridden one and how were the ergonomics and riding position? People are telling me the S1000RR is the most comfortable to ride of all the super sports. I should really just buy a 701 and cut my speeds in half, but Montana has a lot of open roads and plenty of opportunity to wind out a sport bike.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I`v been looking at the cbr1000rr lately . I`m in love with my 89 zx9 but its gotten to a point where getting pilot/main jets and gaskets is beyond a joke .

looks like you missed out on the ducatti plate sale ,super sports were going for a song in aus
Why is getting pilot/main jets and gaskets a joke? I just bought a jet kit for my 9R and found a full carb rebuild kit should I need but dont currently.

My choice of bike would not be a full on sport bike because I am not spending 20K + on a sportbike but if I were to buy I would choose lightly used '18 or '19 H2 SX personally for the more upright ergonomics and electronics. I am in process of just finishing up modifying my 9R, total mods below. Gonna be awesome tour machine

Venhill Custom 3+ " braided lines F&R (rear stock)
Upgraded front suspension K-Tech
GP Suspension rear shock
Sigma6 Jet Kit
K&N Filter
Stock header & link pipe w MIG Silver Weave Race muffler (brand new)
4° ignition advancer
Apex 3" Clip on Risers
Corbin seat
Right Angle Kurvy Girl valve stems
AS Silicone hose kit
Red Fox rear hugger
Denso Iridium Spark Plugs & fresh Valve job today
OEM fuel filter
LED Halo H4 bulbs
Tokico 6 pot brake rebuild kit
Y fairing bracket from F model
Dyno tuned

Winter mod
2002 9R swingarm will require new hugger:(
ceramic wheel bearings and new cush drives

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I thought about the H2, but they are really expensive even used. They are also quite heavy, and I already have the Africa Twin ;). I'd like to stick to $10k though would go to $15k for something truly amazing. Another benefit to the 690/701 is that they can be had used but like new for cheap- $8-9k.

Seeing your mod list reminds me of all the time, effort and money I have also poured into my 9R and makes me want to keep it! Mine is a 2003 with less than 10k miles, so still pretty much in mint condition.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Ivan still sells jet kits last time I checked.
Think he is referring to the rebuild kit for carbs. I just got my 6Sigma jet kit in yesterday for my E model

·
Registered
13 Posts
Assume use will be fun riding on mountain roads and a few track days per year. I have yet to find a suitable replacement, but carbureted bikes don't run well at varying elevation so I am once again considering a change. I love the comfort:sporting ratio of the 9R. I don't really need more power, but would appreciate a small increase along with lighter weight. Great electronics are desirable. I will do most of my riding on an Africa Twin so this is a toy for me, so to speak.

Suggestions?

I would like to test ride the S1000RR, Panigale, Monster 1200, Hypermotard, maybe Ninja 1000, and perhaps even some supermoto style bikes like a KTM 690R/Husq 701. This last option is appealing as it will quite literally slow me down, and likely still suffice for track use unless there are long straights.
Check out GSX S1000. Get the early 2016, its the same as the newer ones for your purpose, and much cheaper. I paid $5,000 for one with less than 200 miles. An ECU flash cost $200 from Danos, and there are many options for suspension upgrades. I favor RaceTech, but the GSX S forum has lots of info., $350 to $1,400 for rear shock, front is reported to be useable. I had a 9R for many years, 46,000 miles including track days and SoCal back roads. Any one need stock wheels, with EBC disks, (my track day wheels)?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts