Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2000 ZX-9 is having an issue. I put some seafoam in the tank the other day and since then it bogs out bad under wide open throttle. I don't know if it's related to the seafoam or if the timing is coincidence. It idles fine and revs well in neutral, but under load I can only get it to go if i am easy on the gas. Try to open it up and I swear it sounds more like a twin.

I replaced the fuel filter and checked the gas in the tank and found no contaminants or blockage. The carbs look good and all the vacuum lines and hoses are fine. Air filter is clear.

What would cause the bike to rev fine in neutral but not in gear? What can I eliminate?

I originally thought it must be a fueling issue, but now I am wondering if it's electrical. Maybe ignition. I haven't had a chance to pull the plugs yet. My bike does have an ignition advancer, but ran fine with it in prior to the last few days.

Anyone ever have a clutch act like this as it was going? Shifting is fine, but it was one of the things mentioned in my troubleshooting section.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
16 Posts
It could be needing the shims doing or one of the coils braking down. Maybe. Never heard of a clutch doing any thing like that. Maybe the seafoam.

·
Registered
190 Posts
ok here is the deal. if you took your carbs apart and cleaned them then you prob didnt get the cv boot to seat good under the cap. use a little bit of vaseline to help hold them down in the groove then put the cap back on. I made the same mistake and it took me about a week to figure it out.

·
Premium Member
13,020 Posts
If there was no problem before the Seafoam, I would think it dislodged something in the tank or emulsified something in the lines, fuel pump, fuel filter or float bowls that is clogging something up. If the clutch was getting ready to shoot crap, the most likely sign would be slippage and over-revving without more forward motion. It certainly wouldn't cause it to bog.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
fuel pump maybe...if it revs fine durin neutral the fuel is passing through ok. seems like the pump cant handle the load of the bike in gear therefore causing a lean mixture which bogs u down. easy to replace and not expensive, id say try a fuel pump

·
Registered
9,979 Posts
What's your base elevation

Q. Did you also just move to CO from Death Valley? i.e. have you rejetted to compensate for altitude? You'll know if it's a jetting issue if the symptoms get worse as you climb summits.

A. If your jets are stock and you're above 4,000,' Kawi recommends rejetting to #35 pilots and #152 mains (Haynes repair manual). Depending on your intake/exhaust mods you can go a little richer. Stocks are #160/165 (out/in). Base el' for me is 4,500' and mine, with a K&N and slip-on exhaust, are #155/158. For comparison, you can listen to how mine pulls in a brief Youtube vid I posted. It was recorded at 4,800,' shifts are ~12,000 RPM. Keihin replacement jets can be purchased from just about any motorcycle/ATV/snowmobile repair shop and usually run about $4 per jet.

If you think it's the Sea Foam, then run the gas out and refuel it with premium.

·
Registered
19 Posts
i had the exact same problems on my '02 r6. it's the additive so drain it out refuel. change out your plugs, that was the last thing i di so try it first. clean you float chambers. the additive has probably cleats out your carbs but now your floats are clogged. sorry for the spelling in a hurry :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
i have kinda the same prob. and i have changed everything other then the fuel pump. but see my bike will rev fine even in gear but when you put it in third gear thats when it bogs if you get into it but just riding with alittle gas its fine so i have no clue fuel pump maybe? what did you do to fix yours or did you get it fixed yet?

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
If there was no problem before the Seafoam, I would think it dislodged something in the tank or emulsified something in the lines, fuel pump, fuel filter or float bowls that is clogging something up. If the clutch was getting ready to shoot crap, the most likely sign would be slippage and over-revving without more forward motion. It certainly wouldn't cause it to bog.
+1 seafoam has a history of working so well that it can dislodge things - I had a similar experience once, ended up burning up my fuel pump. :angry

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am having a problem accelerating under (wot) only in gear, revs fine in neutral. I can roll throttle on gently in gear and get to redline. But takes forever.
I have replaced, fuel pump, fuel filter, spark plugs, drained the tank refuled with premium. It ride normal again for 5 miles after changing everything, then back to bogging under wot. Bike has 40k and is stock except a micron Exauste.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts