Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Premium Member
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A riding buddy of mine just called and asked if he can bring his bike over for me to look at. It's a 97 ZX7R, pipe, K&N, 172-182-182-172 mains, stock pilot jet, 15mm float height and 2.5 turns out on fuel screws. The problem is that he just had it tuned up at a Kawasaki dealer before storage and when he started it up (full choke) it idles at 500rpm and then stalls. After restarting several times, the bike will finally stay running with low rpm and will finally rev up to 3000rpm after about a minute of chugging along at 500rpm. I am going into this with a couple of ideas but just wanted to see if there are any suggestions as to where to look first. I know from checking out the posts that there are quite a few people with a lot of knowledge on carbs and carb tuning and would just like to pick your brains on it. Any ideas??? :banghead

· Premium Member
550 Posts
I have had a similar problem on my 11 and find that I have to ease the choke back a little before it will rev harder at startup. I just adjusted the cable at the carbies and that solved the issue.

· Premium Member
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tried easing the choke lever off a bit and it just dies. Will not start without full choke. Without taking the carbs off yet I have done a couple of checks and they have made some radical adjustments at the dealer. First, the pilot screws are wound out 3.5 turns, they have vacuum hoses connecting 1-4 and 2-3 at the sync fittings and the fuel level (not float height) is 4mm too high on all cylinders. I am thinking that it is just way too rich. Any other thoughts??? I am going to end up removing the carbs and giving them a thorough look. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

· Quinton Phuckin Tarantino
18,875 Posts
Is the gas fresh or stale ? If its old change it first drain the float bowls and see what the gas looks like . Then if that doesn't work time to tear into them . It's probably clogged pilot jets they are the smallest ones and most likely to clog first and that's where the idle circut gets its gas from . Hope this helps .

· Premium Member
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
First thing I did was drain the tank and use fresh gas. I have turned the pilot screws to 2.25 turns out (which has helped a little-will fire up first time). I am in the process of removing them and will just bite the bullet and tear them apart (free work for a good friend). His bike is set up similar to mine (with fewer mods) so I am hoping to be able to figure this out. I just cannot figure out why it starts and idles low for less than a minute and then just revs up where it should be [email protected] choke). Can smell raw fuel so I am thinking rich... fuel level is too high so I will need to lower the floats for sure. I will end up cleaning them thoroughly so the pilots will get cleaned for sure. Could float height/fuel level make it act this way???

:banghead

18,875 Posts
I think you have multiple problems all form clogged jets and or leaky needle and seats probably from deposits left from stale gas . Nothing a good cleaning and re synchronize won't fix just be thorough and make sure to use compressed air to blow out all the passages and make sure they flow .

· Premium Member
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, finally got through the carbs. Pilots were plugged with what looks like pieces of lint and lots of it. Not sure who uses lint filled rags to dry carb parts but someone at the dealer obviously does. two of them were plugged almost completely and were very difficult to clean out. Also lowered the fuel level down to correct level (4mm too high), turned pilot screws into 1.75 turns (stock setting), cleaned the pilot air jets (also plugged with lint) and laced it all back up. Full choke fires right up and revs up the way it should. I do my own work in my own shop so I never need to deal with this kind of nonsense. Now I understand why so many of us riders do their own service. Thanks for the advice.

:mfclap

18,875 Posts
Good deal glad to hear you got it sorted out . Those pesky dealerships will get you every time with typically low wages they really don't fetch the best people to work for them most of the smart people figure out really quick that there is no money in being a motorcycle mechanic ( not that the dealer doesn't charge out the a** ) . I have my own dealership horror stories but I'll save that for another time .:angry

· Premium Member
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I used to work at a dealer for a short time before realizing that of the $85/hour they charged, I received very little. It was easier to build a shop into my garage and do work from here with lower rates. My bikes have not seen the inside of a dealership since they left the showroom floor and my street bike has 106,00km (60,000 miles) of trouble free riding on it.

:eek:hno

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.