Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, thanks in advance to anyone who may have suggestions to my bike problems. Also, sorry this is so long.....My zx9 is a 1994, it has a full Muzzy exhaust. Recently i noticed the bike took longer to warm up, and the idle was very low. adjusted the idle and the bike was fine for week. Then a few days after that, the bike would start up fine, rev to 3000rpms...then fall off to under 1000rpms...and would not go above 800rpms...the idle adjustment would not help, when i gave it gas it would stall....the only way to get it to move was to have choke on all the way...but the bike ran poorly...no power... so i checked the air filters they are all ok, fuel filter seemed ok, changed the spark plugs, (old plugs did not seem abnormal, but were old so i changed them ) When i went to start the bike again, it started very strong and quickly....just as it was about to idle down properly...gas began to poor out of the left fairing sort of near the left front fork...and the bike began to bog down...shut the bike off removed the tank but could not find any obvious place for where the leaking gas came from...put the bike back together again, now it cranks, sounds like it wants to start but it will not....

Any suggesstions as to what is going on?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Sounds like the float height needs to be adjusted. Set to high and pulling to much fuel into the float bowl. You also might want to think about rebuilding the carbs while you have them off the bike.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Make sure fuel filter element is intact.

Check there is no crud causing a float valve to not shut off fuel flow properly. This would cause a carb to flood. Drain & remove float chambers to check for dirt or other foreign bodies. Or less likely there may be one come adrift. Very rare but a perforated float would also cause flooding.

When float chambers off check levels as mentioned above if no obvious cause of flooding.

See how it runs after above checks. Normally if a carb is flooding this will cause the spark plug to go black & sooty. The flooding may not be related to the original running problems you experienced but checking the above will eliminate flooding as a cause. How many miles has the bike done & has it been serviced regular?

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
The original idle problem was caused by clogged fuel jets. Pulled carbs apart and cleaned jets, checked floats and reassembled. Bike starts and still leaks gas from ram air intakes. Back to the drawing board Ricky..............

1 - 4 of 4 Posts