Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,I'm new to the site and hoping someone can help me.
I've bought a zzr1100 d 1993 with a 4 into 1 micron exhaust.28 ,000 miles.
Only problem is idle drops from 1000 rpm to 700rpm with the lights on , which means it sometimes cut's out when pulling up at junctions.ive tried raising the revs at tickover to 1200 rpm but that makes it slow to come down to tickover ( hanging slightly ) . I've cleaned the carb's twice , pilot s are clean and work well .also sync carb's.any ideas??

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
Ooooo boy..... w/o completely stripping the body work and going over the wiring inch by inch, Id start with the battery. Kawasaki makes some of the most reliable starters and generator/alternators in the business, so I doubt they are drawing current, but its possible. .... EZ for them to go the life of the bike w/o failure though. A bad cell in the battery could cause this issue. If in doubt about it, replace it with an AGM. Switch Headlight bulb to an LED, draws less juice & they r cheap. Check the grounds.

You said Micron right? A Header..... who did the jetting? If not you, CHECK IT.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,thanks for your input.ill check the battery today.always start's easily so I assumed the charging system and battery were good.when I first got the bike in January i did a quick charging test and I seem to remember it was about 14:7 volts.i check today with lights on and off.cheers

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also ,the carb's are standard. 60 s on main,I know the middle two should be 58s but that was the only difference.the bike rides ok.takes off above 5 k rpm.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi , the battery reads 12:3 volts.but started the bike easily.once started was reading 14:4 volts increasing slightly to 14:7 when reving.with the lights on dropped to 13 :7 fluctuations took it to 14:1 volts.i would assume that is normal.their is a slight stumble when I initially open the throttle,and unless I have the tickover below 900 rpm the revs hang slowly coming down from 3000 rpm.do you think it needs larger pilot jets,due to the after market exhaust . which would allow me to put the tickover higher?

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
Also ,the carb's are standard. 60 s on main,I know the middle two should be 58s but that was the only difference.the bike rides ok.takes off above 5 k rpm.
MJ should be @ least 62 and 60 when running a Header, Im running that with STOCK exhaust & a K&N Filter. Bike was tuned lean from the factory. Jet needle should be raised @ least 1 notch if not 2 over stock

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
Hi , the battery reads 12:3 volts.but started the bike easily.once started was reading 14:4 volts increasing slightly to 14:7 when reving.with the lights on dropped to 13 :7 fluctuations took it to 14:1 volts.i would assume that is normal.their is a slight stumble when I initially open the throttle,and unless I have the tickover below 900 rpm the revs hang slowly coming down from 3000 rpm.do you think it needs larger pilot jets,due to the after market exhaust . which would allow me to put the tickover higher?
Leave Pilots @ 38. No need to touch them

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
when I initially open the throttle,and unless I have the tickover below 900 rpm the revs hang slowly coming down from 3000 rpm.do you think it needs larger pilot jets,due to the after market exhaust
This is because the hand off from Idle to 1/4 throttle is not tuned correctly. its still too lean. If the pilots were plugged she wouldnt even run under 4k, maybe not even start.

Cut to the chase, and save yourself lots and lots of future headaches.

Buy a Factory Pro Jet Kit. Dont whine about the price, JUST DO IT!! They have dialed the ZX11 in... and once the kit is installed the ZX11 turns into a monster over 5k.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi, I've got the pilot jets set at 1 3/4 turn's according to UK spec.ill turn them out to 2 1/2,that should richen the bottom end.
You mentioned raising the needle by notches?
There is no way of doing that with my standard set up.would you suggest a washer under the needle to have the same affect?
When I initially cleaned the carb's someone had put an o'ring under the needles which created a dead spot at 3 to 4000 RPM so I removed them.which seemed to improve that area.

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
Hi, I've got the pilot jets set at 1 3/4 turn's according to UK spec.ill turn them out to 2 1/2,that should richen the bottom end.
You mentioned raising the needle by notches?
There is no way of doing that with my standard set up.would you suggest a washer under the needle to have the same affect?
When I initially cleaned the carb's someone had put an o'ring under the needles which created a dead spot at 3 to 4000 RPM so I removed them.which seemed to improve that area.
For the stock Jet Needles, shims under the clip will work.

Pilot Jets are non adjustable. Stock is 38, leave them alone. I think you mean the air mixture idle screws. 2.0 to 2.5 turns is recommended setting. That handles idle, has nothing to do with "bottom end" thats where 1/4 throttle and the 4k stumble come in, though a richer mixture @ idle can and will help the transistion better. Wont get rid of it completely. Jet Needle comes in just off idle, & moves all the way to WOT. (wide open throttle), where its a Main Jet world at that point.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks again, I'll set air mixture screw's at 2:1/2.hopefully that will sort the tickover.
What causes it too big down at 3-4000 rpm,not enough fuel or too much?

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
I think its the shape of the Jet Needle. If u compare it to the Factory Pro Needle, you can see the difference. The FP Needle is a bit thinner and tappered to dump in xtra gas, plus FP supplies a replacement carb spring, which makes the Needle rise quicker, also helping to send in more gas, which definitely works better over the stock one when it hits the flat spot. Remember, these bikes were tuned Lean from the Factory to pass emissions.... the mill wants more gas and air.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts