Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ZX 11 Idle and stalling problems

my 98 ZX11 is in the shop and stalls when idling down from above 3k RPM's... Carbs completely cleaned twice..

The compression is good on all cylinders and NOTHING seems to help...

Im rejetting the carbs to see if this helps any ideas?

John

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Alright....Let's tackle this with a bit of sense here, before you start re-jetting. Answer these few questions: Was the bike runnung well before you took it to the mechanic? Did you install a jet kit or have one installed? Did you install an aftermarket exhaust? Do you have an ignition advancer in it? After you did any of this did the bike staert running poorly? It's critical to note that "re-jetting" the carbs, if the bike was running well prior to you fiddling with it, will do nothing but buy you a load of ass-ache. Let's take it step by step.

DW

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
you are correct... We opted NOT to re-jet the carbs or make any modifiactions.

Absolutely nothing that I know of has been modified to create the problem.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Sounds like one of two (related) problems. My guess is that the idle mix screws at the bottom of the carbs (othewise known as the pilot screws) are in need of a turn or two out to richen the mix. It can be done in place, but you'll need a really tiny or 90degree screw driver to do it. Seconly, make sure you didn't kink the fuel line when you put the tank back on....elementary, I know, but they're subject to bending at the junction with the carbs, where you cvant see it. Last, make sure your tank is venting properly. One way to check is to open up the gas cap and see if the problem goes away. There have been reports of the swelling of the labyrinth in the cap, which plugs up the vent holes, starving the tank for vent air. Hopefully, this will give you a few places to look.

DW

1 - 4 of 4 Posts