Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
81 - 100 of 122 Posts

· Registered
150 Posts
Just a little weathered from being outdoors in florida for 13 years. ;)

· Registered
1993 Zx-7 L Model, 2006 ZX-10R
5,026 Posts
Ugh. If only I had some spare cash laying around.

· Registered
150 Posts
Reactions: Slorg442

· Registered
1993 Zx-7 L Model, 2006 ZX-10R
5,026 Posts

· Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
Maybe the journey is what makes the buyer happy and not the destination.

So what is the prediction for the Russell bike? 80k?
The guy has a 23 bike collection is all I know and his dad owned a kawi dealership in the 90’s and it’s a dream bike. I bet 80k what is the reserve on the Russell bike not sure if it will hit it.

· Registered
456 Posts
The guy has a 23 bike collection is all I know and his dad owned a kawi dealership in the 90’s and it’s a dream bike. I bet 80k what is the reserve on the Russell bike not sure if it will hit it.
I see buyers spending big $ on bike auctions. But as you guys mentioned, race bike collectors seem to be a very small niche group. If I curated a motorcycle museum I would be all over the championship winners and hero bikes like those 2 Muzzy ZX7s.

7,192 Posts
I am struggling to think the could be an as ridden by Russell. That looks like a stock engine. Stock oil pan? Stock oil drainback hose? Stock master cylinder? They couldn't start it, maybe because it doesn't have a crankshaft? Hell, it has a stock plastic pan seat on it with a street type tail that was crudely bolted to the frame. It doesn't add up.

The best I can figure is it is the same bike as the one in the article. The mag asked for a race bike for pictures and they threw something together with stuff laying around to make it look like a race bike.

Someone is going to be upset when they realize what they bought ....... or what they didn't.

· Registered
456 Posts
I am struggling to think the could be an as ridden by Russell. That looks like a stock engine. Stock oil pan? Stock oil drainback hose? Stock master cylinder? They couldn't start it, maybe because it doesn't have a crankshaft? Hell, it has a stock plastic pan seat on it with a street type tail that was crudely bolted to the frame. It doesn't add up.

The best I can figure is it is the same bike as the one in the article. The mag asked for a race bike for pictures and they threw something together with stuff laying around to make it look like a race bike.

Someone is going to be upset when they realize what they bought ....... or what they didn't.
As usual great eye for detail. They said the electrical system prevented the startup.

Was the Russell bike retired in 93? The Chandler bike was campaigned until 99. The parts from the 93 may have been scavenged like so many other race bikes. The Chandler bike seems right off the track and unmolested. Possibly since it was near or at the end of the ZX7 lifespan and no other bikes to move parts to.

What is in this tank from the 99? Storage beads? If so, wouldn't moisture still get to the walls of the tank since there is air between the particles? And how do you make sure you get all of that out before clogging your fuel system?

Hood Azure Blue Aqua Electric blue

7,192 Posts
It is open cell foam to reduce fuel sloshing. It is fuel safe. It should be in all the race tanks back then.

The forks on the Russell bike were upgraded somewhere in 1993 to FG46. There is no such thing as retired with Muzzy other than you can't run an earlier frame because of homologation rules. They kept things current and fresh as they progressed. If it was harmed in a crash it was replaced.

I was silent on the Chandler bike, but it had issues also. How can a #1 bike be as raced in 99? I look jaded mentioning this because I would like to sell my Russell bike at some point, so I stayed out of it. This Russell bike is way farther out. How can it be as raced in 97 for the championship and have forks and swingarm that were not invented yet? Show me a picture where Chandler ever used that swingarm in a race in 99 to make it as ridden. The only pic I have seen with Chandler on that swingarm was this one used in testing. Notice #10
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Automotive tire Motorcycle

I know of two sets of the type of forks on that bike, mine and a friend's in the West Coast, and neither were marked like that. It doesn't mean it's wrong, just another odd thing.

If they just listed and marked the bike a 1999 #10 bike it would be easier to believe.

· Registered
456 Posts
After comparing the 99 bike on Iconic to that photo, you seem to be right on the money. Aside from the decal placements on the lowers, everything else matches from what I can see. Swingarm, forks, wheels, brakes, rearsets, shifter, electronics bracket, even the hole in the seat fairing. That looks exactly like the #1 bike for sale. Someone apparently just swapped numbers and lower fairing.
Fuel tank Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Whatever. It still needs to be in my living room on a pedestal with angels playing in the background.

· Registered
456 Posts
N1 for sale. A rebuild. Parts have excessive wear, like the turn signals. Missing paint on the front rotors. Strange scrapes like on the lower clutch casing. How do you scratch that? Slight rust in the tank. Exhaust can looks like it was in a box of metal parts and shook up. What was that weird noise at 0:55 on the video? Valvetrain? Radiator fins have knuckle marks on them. Fairing paint seems brand new unlike the rest of the bike. Frame has been repainted, and lost the tag on the right side.

Still tempted to bid.

81 - 100 of 122 Posts