Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
41 - 60 of 122 Posts

7,245 Posts
Blue 1991 with a factory race kit.
There are all kinds of red flags on that bike.

-143hp engine that is 11:1? Can run on 90 octane? And it's limited to 13K RPM, so it would make 150hp if revved to where race engines of that day needed to make the 143hp he mentioned, and they needed nearly 14:1 to get there? You better have him teach Muzzy how to build an engine.
-How do you pull that much power through 38mm carbs
-That harness has to be very tweaked as all the endurance harnesses I've researched won't run an OEM tach.
-Turn signals on an endurance harness?
-Kit ignitor with OEM coils? It would overheat those coils in no time.

· Registered
486 Posts
There are all kinds of red flags on that bike.

-143hp engine that is 11:1? Can run on 90 octane? And it's limited to 13K RPM, so it would make 150hp if revved to where race engines of that day needed to make the 143hp he mentioned, and they needed nearly 14:1 to get there? You better have him teach Muzzy how to build an engine.
-How do you pull that much power through 38mm carbs
-That harness has to be very tweaked as all the endurance harnesses I've researched won't run an OEM tach.
-Turn signals on an endurance harness?
-Kit ignitor with OEM coils? It would overheat those coils in no time.
I would imagine that power figure was at its best, if at all. Marketing and all that.
Looks like alot of the race parts were replaced with oem prior to the sale. Most of the trick kit was sold off probably, like the heads, carbs, coils, maybe even the harness.
Probably someones big money racebike converted back to street use.
Still a nice bike in a really cool color.

· Premium Member
2,921 Posts
It almost seems like the “kit” motor is based on the fact that the bike comes with the race manual, which means nothing. Don’t get me wrong, very nice bike. I am skeptical that it is all it is advertised as. How can the claim of internal engine work be proven without a tear down?

· Registered
486 Posts
It almost seems like the “kit” motor is based on the fact that the bike comes with the race manual, which means nothing. Don’t get me wrong, very nice bike. I am skeptical that it is all it is advertised as. How can the claim of internal engine work be proven without a tear down?
They cant. And there is no proof offered in the listing. And after all of the inconstancies 57x listed, I would venture to guess the listing details were written by the seller, and taken for granted. Usually Iconic is well versed in the bikes they sell, but it appears one slipped through.

7,245 Posts
Why don’t they produce a Dyno sheet to back it up,
That’s what I would do if I was selling it.
I just bought another ZX12R (2003) that I only bought to flip. It's an insane 310 rwhp beast. It ran the Texas Mile at 310 MPH a few years ago. I'm going to clean it up and dyno it with a tune for E85. I expect well over 400hp when I'm done tuning it. I'll pay extra to have a couple spare dyno hp runs for the potential buyer. I'm also going to pull the covers to video the inside proving it has pistons, rods, etc. It's the right way in my opinion.

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Fuel tank Vehicle

· Registered
151 Posts
When will the insanity stop??

· Registered
1993 Zx-7 L Model, 2006 ZX-10R
5,165 Posts

7,245 Posts
The latter. My old bike I sold to Iconic went for $26,500 and much of the authentic parts were replaced just before I sold it. That #1 is a nice bike. It needs a restoration, but most everything is there.

41 - 60 of 122 Posts