Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 192 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just out getting to know my bike a little on a Sunday afternoon. I headed out on a back highway connecting I5 to Newburg. I had been on this road one other time and thought it would be a nice little run for the time I had.

Anyways, like I said, getting to know the bike. I passed one car in a legal passing area, plenty of room to pass and I am sure I broke the speed limit. I did not go full throttle or even shift down, but zipped around just the same.

I continued at close to the 55 limit for a few more miles, then noticed a group of riders on the side of the road. The sun was out and there was a fair amount of glare on my visor and I think I missed seeing the state cop who was sitting there with them.

After slowing and waving at the riders, I hit the throttle, just a little and the cop must have come after me right then. Just guessing. The officer says he followed me for about two miles so that would be about right. I was completely oblivious to his presence and he must have lit me up right away.

Because of the new bike and the mirrors that are just way to close together I cannot see directly behind me without tucking my arms against my body so I had no idea he was trying to pull me over. Also, apparently I cannot hear sirens above 55 mph because of wind noise in my oversized helmet:banghead.

So I was just tooling along with a cop chasing me like some kind of retarded jackass. I came up behind a large van and was waiting for the solid yellow in my lane to go away and I was gonna zip by him, but he kept slowing down and pulling over to the side. There was no shoulder at that point so he could not get all the way off the road. I could not figure out what the hell he was doing. In hindsight he was obviously pulling over for the lights and sirens, which I was still oblivious to. When the van got down to about 35 mph and half way off the road I went by. Again at nowhere near full throttle. Later the cop told me he was right on my ass at that point.

About another 1/8 of a mile down the road it opened up and with no oncoming traffic the cop started to pull around me and I got my first look at the flashing lights and heard the siren. My heart sank and I immediately dropped the throttle and started pulling over. There was still no real shoulder on the road. The cop used his car to force me over to the point that as I came to a stop our mirrors touched. He looked out of his car and was obviously very upset. Pointing his finger at me and yelling something.

As he got out of his car and come around, he was so agitated that I threw my hands in the air. He got to me, and slapped me in the back, like he was trying to grab my coat and took the keys out of the bike. He told me take off the helmet and get off the bike, which I did. He then told me I was under arrest for attempting to elude a police officer. I said sorry and sir and told him that I did not see him to which he yelled "bullshit". He claimed that we made eye contact and that I even turned and looked right at him. I said something like "I am 53 years old with two young boys and there is no way I would attempt to elude an officer.

I won't drag this out anymore, but suffice it to say that he either did not believe me or just had made up his mind to arrest me, which he did. I was taken to jail and for those of you who've been there it is no more fun now than it ever was. I was released about 5 hours later and my friend and my Lady were able to get $1000 dollars cash to bail me out and of course I had to go collect my bike from the towing company the next day which cost me another $459.

The charges are speeding, careless driving and attempting to elude. I am most definitely guilty of speeding. I may have had it a little over 80 though certainly under 100. I think the careless driving comes from passing with a solid yellow in my lane, which sucks because I probably let the car slow to about 35mph before I went around him.

So now I just got to get a lawyer and try to get somebody to believe that this was all a big misunderstanding. My friend tells me that attempting to elude is a felony charge and I sure hope I can be found not guilty, because for once I really am not guilty, unless you count stupid:tard.

Damn, do I know how to party or what:banghead

·
Registered
257 Posts
That cop should not have forced you over with a 4000 lb car, he could have killed you.

Hopefully, the courts will understand and realized that was a big misunderstanding.

·
sénior BBQ Master
22,268 Posts
We tried to tell you to get the ZX10r. Look what happens?

That is a bunch of horse shit. Your defense should be statistics on the bike proving that if you were trying to elude you would have.

·
Premium Member
15,095 Posts
Wow dude. That blows.

I know what you mean about the mirrors. My bike is the same way so I have them set a bit wide so I can see my "blind" spots. If I tuck my elbows in close and lean a little I can see behind me but I don't really care what is exactly behind me.

It'd weird that you didn't hear the siren though. Especially going as slow as 55mph.

He should have been able to tell by your body language and riding style that you weren't running though.

·
Premium Member
15,095 Posts
We tried to tell you to get the ZX10r. Look what happens?

That is a bunch of horse shit. Your defense should be statistics on the bike proving that if you were trying to elude you would have.
Try and get dash cam footage. It will be clear that you weren't running. They might still nail you with passing in a no passing zone and speeding but it should get the eluding charge taken off.

·
Premium Member
15,095 Posts
I guess I was just lucky that the time I got pulled over on the 6 he was beside me before he even turned his lights on, then shined his flashlight in my visor to get my attention to look over at him.

·
sénior BBQ Master
22,268 Posts
I want to see the guys cuiser's vid of this.

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Your defense should be statistics on the bike proving that if you were trying to elude you would have.
I told him I had a lot more throttle:dunno.

He should have been able to tell by your body language and riding style that you weren't running though.
That's what I thought. While I was handcuffed in the backseat on the way to jail, I asked him if I really seemed like someone who was trying to get away. He said something like Yes, I been doing this for 25 years and I do not arrest people lightly. You will get your chance in court to convince a judge and jury.

·
Premium Member
5,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I want to see the guys cuiser's vid of this.
Pretty curious about that myself. How would I find out if there is one? Probably something I hae to leave to a lawyer:banghead

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
find a lawyer in the county you got the ticket in that specializes in "tickets".
we call them ticket lawyers. you might find a lawyer in the yellow pages. They are not necessarily expensive. call a few lawyers. It doesn't hurt to shop around.

You definitely want to have an experienced lawyer. A felony is very serious. Even a third degree felony should be avoided at all cost. In the end this is going to cost you some money, but shit happens. I think you'll be OK.

·
16,062 Posts
I'm sure he had his lights on, but I doubt he had his siren on.
There's no way you WOULDN'T have heard it at some point, if he was right behind you. Those things are deafening.
And it should have been obvious that you weren't trying to get away.
Particularly when you were following the van at 35 mph and waited how long to pass him? And why didn't you gun it, when he pulled up beside you? :headscratch
Someone running from a cop would have been doing 100 mph the whole time and simply passed the van right off the bat.
I'm pretty sure he had his mind made up that you were a 20 yr old punk and wasn't gonna change his tune, once he realized that you were 53 and telling the truth.
I wonder how often a cop shows up in court and apologizes and says he overreacted, misjudged the situation and handled it in an unprofessional and dangerous manner.
Not everyone is cut out for law enforcement.
He sounds like a dipshit.
Probably someone's nephew or something.
I would tell the court the same story you just told us.
And I wouldn't leave out the part about him being so angry and giving you a slap in the back.
You obviously stopped, were calm and apologetic.
That was uncalled for.

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
Sounds to me like you found a piece of shit cop. If he is saying you turned around and looked at him, and you didn't do anything of the sort, than he is just a piece of crap.

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
The cop has prob been outrun a few times before. This is the first time he actually got to ticket a sportbike rider. Sounds like he had a "chip on his shoulder" alright. You still have the bike. This is a big plus. A friend ended up losing his bike because it was going to cost a small fortune to get it back. I'd avoid riding in that area until the court case is settled.

·
sénior BBQ Master
22,268 Posts
I'm sure he had his lights on, but I doubt he had his siren on.
There's no way you WOULDN'T have heard it at some point, if he was right behind you. Those things are deafening.
And it should have been obvious that you weren't trying to get away.
Particularly when you were following the van at 35 mph and waited how long to pass him? And why didn't you gun it, when he pulled up beside you? :headscratch
Someone running from a cop would have been doing 100 mph the whole time and simply passed the van right off the bat.
I'm pretty sure he had his mind made up that you were a 20 yr old punk and wasn't gonna change his tune, once he realized that you were 53 and telling the truth.
I wonder how often a cop shows up in court and apologizes and says he overreacted, misjudged the situation and handled it in an unprofessional and dangerous manner.
Not everyone is cut out for law enforcement.
He sounds like a dipshit.
Probably someone's nephew or something.
I would tell the court the same story you just told us.
And I wouldn't leave out the part about him being so angry and giving you a slap in the back.
You obviously stopped, were calm and apologetic.
That was uncalled for.
good point there is no reason for him to hit you on your bike.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Pretty curious about that myself. How would I find out if there is one? Probably something I hae to leave to a lawyer:banghead
Camera automatically starts shooting when they flip on sirens. He's also got a mic on his uniform that records voice/sound while he's out of the car talking to you. Most of the time if they have someone in the backseat, they'll leave the recorder going just in case anything further is said to incriminate the backseat rider.

Of course that all assumes they put a fresh tape in their VCR in the trunk when they went on duty... or had enough left on the existing tape.

·
16,062 Posts
I have a funny feeling there won't be any video or audio.

1 - 20 of 192 Posts