Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was wandering through the '07 zx6r maintenance manual when I noticed something interesting.

First vavle adjustment on the Canadian and American models is 24000km. On the euro model it's 42000km. Why, I couldn't tell you, but I totally wish I had the Euro model now. LoL

·
Registered
114 Posts
It's a money making scheme!! Just like cars. Here the recommended oil change is
5k or three month while in europe is at least 15K.
They are ripping us off!!:thefinger

·
Registered
13 Posts
It's a money making scheme!! Just like cars. Here the recommended oil change is
5k or three month while in europe is at least 15K.
They are ripping us off!!:thefinger
You Think!
Lets compare retail prices for the bike.
Here in the UK if you walk into a kawasaki Dealer and bought an 07 zx6r
Mr Dealer will ask you for £7149 or $14,298.00

If you know where to buy over here you can get it down to £5999.99 / $11999.98

What do you guys get it for?

·
Registered
80 Posts
is it a different engine on the bike? if not, then the american dealerships are ripping people off. if you don't have to change the oil on a european model for 15000 miles, then why do they say we americans have to change oil every 5000 miles. doesn't make sense to me. i'd like to hear a dealership's explanation.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I would be very surprised if the UK service interval was 15k, more likely to be around the 4k mark although I don't know exactly as I do not own that bike, but all the kwaka's I have owned have been 4k!

·
Registered
53 Posts
JA53TAP: it doesnt really work like that. All you are doing is comparing the prices using the exchange rate. This is down to the low value of the dollar against the pound. If you actually live in the States you would probably find that in relation to pay there that it probably works out pretty much the same as here give or take. Its only seems like we are getting ripped off when you compare the prices in the way you have but in reality its not quite like that. Its a bit like someone who bought a house for £50,000 10 years ago, which is now worth £150,000 and they think they have made £100,000, they havent actually made that, because all other houses have risen at pretty much the same rate, and you would have to pay that for the same house somewhere else. The only real way you benefit is if you are left a house or bought two and rent or sell the other.

·
Registered
13 Posts
"JA53TAP: it doesnt really work like that."

No it works like this.:lol

I fully understand your point but that wasnt what we were talking about. I was pointing out that Kawasaki set the rrp and that we pay more here in the UK than the USA market. Regardless of the local economy Kawasaki can afford to sell them @ $8999 and make a profit. The UK may have different laws on taxation of new machines but proportionatley we pay more. I know how economics work and the point about equity in a property over a ten year period has nothing to do with the discussion! You can use figures in many ways to make your point.

For instance the Minimum wage From 2008 in California is $8.00 per hour or $16640 per annum so He/she takes @1125 hrs to earn the $8999 needed to buy the bike at mrrp*

The minimum wage here is £5.25 per hour or £10920 per annum meaning we would have to work @ 1362 hours to earn the £7149 mrrp* in the uk.

So despite all differences in cost of living and social standing, in the uk we need to work 237 hours (all but six weeks) longer to afford the same bike!

* I have used the MRRP in both instances but of course i know there are better deals out there.

The whole outcome being we are charged over the odds in most areas compared to the USA market.

·
Registered
53 Posts
JA53TAP:

Nice answer, yeah I see where you are coming from now. Maybe I need it spelt out to me, haha. Interesting none the less. Hey 6 weeks is better in my 'sky rocket' than in the hands of some big company though!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts