Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I'm new at this stuff I bought a ZX 1100 1990 fastest bike ever run I love the bike I've been having some issues with it's hard to get it start after it sits overnight takes forever to start but after you get to run
all day shut it off and start right back up but his first thing in the morning it takes forever to get going a similar problem

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
Hi Welcome Aboard!!!!

Its actually a good thing this is happening because u will get an up close and personal 1st hand experience of probably the most asked about troubleshooting question regarding the infamous ZX-11's.

THE CARBS.

Fuel, Spark and Air, and engine should run. U can rule out spark for now, cuz Kawy makes solid ignition systems, but the spark plugs though. Replace them. I run NGK Iridiums, they r expensive, but they last & they work for me. Air cleaners r easy to replace, but the Carbs..... my oh my, you are going down the Rabbit Hole now, so get comfortable.. Great Group of People on this board, and they will be more then happy to help you learn about & enjoy your bike more... Get comfortable taking off the gas tank. :)

Have Fun & buy a shop manual or you may be able to download one..
http://www.markofshame.com/fsm/97_Ninja_ZX11/

🍺 :)

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
OK, sounds good, but if you plan to own the Bike for any length of time, you cant just keep buying new carbs everytime there is a carb issue, unless Hip National Bank has unlimited funds. Sooner or later u r going to have to tear them apart. :)

Reactions: ninjanut

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
Kool, did you remove the Pilot Jets and verify you can see day light thru them?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Mine ran great when warm out for years but hated the cold. Couldn't even start it below 50 degrees outside or so but I didn't care so left it. Ran great even when chilly out after I started it, but would take time. Eventually it bogged out this year and I finally fixed it.

I think Blaine is right - for me, one Pilot jet was clogged.

I bought new jets instead of cleaning them. ebay was pretty cheap ($50 for 4 pilot and main jets only). Since I added zzr1200 exhaust and shorties I went bigger but they have all sizes on ebay.

Not sure about setting the timing, but I doubt that is your problem. Carbs! :)

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
I think Claude or one of the other Members has a downloadable Service Manual for the ZX-11

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
The Carbs can br finicky. One tear down of my carbs had a Main Jet lying in the float bowl!! WTF?

So from then on I put as drop of permatex on the MJs to make sure they didnt back out again...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts