Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello my fellow riders, so I've lost my key...

I have searched on quite a few forums including google and yahoo and I'm aware that to get a new key cut I would need to have the key code (Which I dont have) or bring a cylinder via ignition, gas cap, or seat lock for the locksmith to work with.

I dont want to go through the process of removing my ignition so I attempted to remove the gas cap/cylinder but apparently it has to be open/unlocked? Either way I tried pulling on it and it wasn't moving. So I decided to give a go at the seat lock and bringing that to the locksmith, but my question to you is how can I remove the seat lock? If there is an easier way to go about getting a new key please chime in, I need help! I have a 2007 ZX6R

Your input is truly appreciated.

-Randy

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
On a 500R the key code is on/under the helmet latch. Perhaps the 6Rs have this "feature" somewhere too?

·
Premium Member
4,338 Posts
Why not just bring in the whole tank?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Keycode is on the ignition housing but it's out of view, removal of the ignition is needed in order to see it. I'm not sure if they would work on the whole tank, but how would you go about removing it?

·
Registered
28 Posts
i have an '05 and dealing with the exact same issue. don't bother pulling off the ignition there's is no key code on it, it's on the main key. (i pulled the ignition). There is no way of pulling off the tail, there are fasteners under the seat, which is locked on. so, since i already had the tank off to take the ignition off, i took the whole tank to a locksmith, hes making me a key and i should have it tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i have an '05 and dealing with the exact same issue. don't bother pulling off the ignition there's is no key code on it, it's on the main key. (i pulled the ignition). There is no way of pulling off the tail, there are fasteners under the seat, which is locked on. so, since i already had the tank off to take the ignition off, i took the whole tank to a locksmith, hes making me a key and i should have it tomorrow morning.
Sorry to hear about your struggle, but if you dont mind saving me some time how did you go about removing your tank? When you do get the key can you please let us know it it works for your ignition and seat lock as well

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well found the answer to my own question but I'll post the video here just incase anyone was wondering

·
Registered
10,439 Posts

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
FYI the locksmith I went to wanted the gas cap. I just brought the whole damn tank because it is easier to get off.

The reason is because the gas cap is the hardest key to fit. You might get lucky and have the seat lock and then it work but if they can fit the gas cap then it will work on everything.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I'm reading your other thread did you take both ignition and gas tank? Or just the gas tank alone? In essence what you're saying is the key they made for your gas tank worked on the ignition and seat lock as well?

Bit confused because the guys on kawiforums.com are telling me something different. (Ignition has 6 tumblers while the gas tank and seat lock only have 4)

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
So I'm reading your other thread did you take both ignition and gas tank? Or just the gas tank alone? In essence what you're saying is the key they made for your gas tank worked on the ignition and seat lock as well?

Bit confused because the guys on kawiforums.com are telling me something different. (Ignition has 6 tumblers while the gas tank and seat lock only have 4)
I originally took him the ingnition because that is what my buddy had to take him. When I got their he said that the ignition would work but he really needed the gas tank because it is a tighter fit. So, if the gas tank would work and he could cut a key for it then the ignition would be the same. He had both but cut the key off of the gas tank and then tried it in the ignition and it worked as well.

I don't know about the tumbler thing. I tried to get a number off of the ignition and it didn't have one. Anyways, the dealership told me to get a new ignition and I called around and he said he would do it.

Needless to say I have like 5 spare keys now. I keep one for the ride and I have one in both my jackets and a few spares in a box.

I hope all works out for you but the locksmiths in your area will know exactly what they need.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I don't know about Kawasaki but I had to do this for my old Suzuki.
All I did was go into the stealership and show them the title.
10 minutes and $20 later I had a key in my hand.

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
I don't know about Kawasaki but I had to do this for my old Suzuki.
All I did was go into the stealership and show them the title.
10 minutes and $20 later I had a key in my hand.
They probably got the key code of the ignition like you can with a Yamaha but usually Kawi's don't have it on the back :banghead

At least that is what I have heard.

·
Premium Member
8,388 Posts
apparently on the 08 the code is on the paperwork from the dealer. i gotta go get a new key cause mine just disappeared when i sent it in the mail. oh well

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
When I bought my 07 6r it came with two keys and a key tab that has the code for the keys so if I were to lose the keys I could go the any kawi dealer and get a key cut. I put the tab in my night stand so it's safe.

·
Registered
147 Posts
When I bought my 07 6r it came with two keys and a key tab that has the code for the keys so if I were to lose the keys I could go the any kawi dealer and get a key cut. I put the tab in my night stand so it's safe.
I stored the code from my tab in a triple encrypted database on a secure server. :lol

·
Registered
1 Posts
There should be a number on the side of the keys cutting and you can take the number to Locksmith and he should be able to make a key for it. You will probably need the title and it would be a good idea to take the keyswitch with you. At least, I know you can do that for a Honda, I guess a Yamaha would be the same way.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts