Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after your done laughin at the title...i was wondering..you guys wit 600's
who can actually pull off a wheelie...are you guys doin power wheelies or clutchin' it....the 600 is a little underpowered in the bottom end but of course they can both be done...jus lookin for some tips...i been goofin around in 1'st at around 6 grand and even snappin the throttle it wont get up..not even a pop

·
Registered
51 Posts
my 636 brings it up pretty easy while rolling into it, i would tell you not to snap the throttle on and off that will cause an accident, clutching it is the best way to learn how to wheelie unless your bike has enough tq and stability to just lift em up and keep em going.

clutching wheelies = best way
stabbing the throttle and loading and unloading your suspension and most likely moving your handlebars when you dont want to = tankslapper and crooked wheelies, and unpredictable lift speed etc.

it takes time sometimes to learn and feel comfortable, if you learn ahead of time on a smaller bike, like a fiddy you will learn really fast on a larger bike

if you are accelerating in 1st or 2nd and you lightly squeeze in on the throttle just enough to let the rpm slip up, and slip the clutch back out like you are pulling out fast (ie not dumping the clutch out) you can do this a little harder, and with a little more rpm evertime till it starts lifting.

this is the best way to do it.

·
Registered
990 Posts
To be on the safe side keep your foot over the rear brake pedal in case it comes up too far, last thing you want to do is flip it.

In the UK there are wheelie schools so I should think there may be some in the USA. You get to practice in relative safety & under instruction. Apart from the obvious fun factor, mastering wheelies helps improve bike control i.e. fast getaway from the lights in complete control, etc.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have had good luck with just pinning the throttle in first gear (light fuel load helps) and letting my ZX6R lift itself up. Once it gets high enough I pause or neutral throttle until I let it down or it gets to high for my taste.

Gearing down on your sprockets will help your ZZR. Adding 2 teeth to the rear or dropping one tooth on the front sprockets will give you some more rear wheel torque and help you lift off.

I have never had any luck with teh clutch technique. I think my mechanical sympathy keeps me from doing it like it supposed to, but then again I have 10 years riding / racing experience and I have yet to replace a worn out clutch!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts