Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am hoping that someone in here can tell me what the part in the pictures is.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
where is it located on the bike? Do you have an pictures a little farther out. Could it be a temp sensor?
It was originally located inside of the front inner fairing on the left side up near the headlight. And, I guess that it could be a temp sensor, but I have no idea why the temperature inside the fairing would be monitored.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Actually, I take that back, I think that it may have been closer to the turn signal than the headlight, but still in place that I can see no reason to monitor the temperature. It looks a lot to me like the mass air flow sensor typically found inside the intake ducting for a fuel injected car(toyota).

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
an 87 is too old for air temp sensors.... we need some pics farther out of where this came from because ive checked the parts diagrams and i cant figure out where this part is from

·
Premium Member
640 Posts

·
VP Whoring
14,930 Posts
its a bomb, PUSH THE BUTTON!

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
It is an air temp sensor....... don't have the wiring diagrams here to give ya, but pretty sure that what you have there.

edit: found a diagram for ya, and can see the wires, but can't read the labels well- too low res.
http://www.zxforums.com/forums/zx-7r-forum/57802-new-guy-need-some-wiring-help.html
If its too low res to make your point dont stick your foot in your mouth... Think logically, in 87 even cars still had carbs, there was no reason to have temp sensors. The only item on there that has two blueish looking wires is a diode for the rear tail light. Like i said, not a temp sensor, dont judge a book by its cover.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Seeing as its a fixed unit with what looks like a plunger switch i want to say it's a redundancy switch like having to pull the clutch in to start the bike, something must actuate the switch. That's a guess but the title excludes me from guessing so I'll just throw my thought in the pot and leave.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
As I stated in the previous posts, it was located on the left side of the bike on the inner fairing. Not really near anything that it would really make sense to be sensing a temperature. It is not some sort of plunger and it has no visibly moving parts. having been thinking about it more and taking into consideration some of the possible suggestions that have been given, I'm sort of inclined to think that it might have originally been a temperature sensor for monitoring the ambient air temperature for some aspect of the california emissions controls that were originally installed on the bike. Or possibly it might even be an air flow sensor that maybe opened a valve that would allow the charcoal canister to be purged once the bike was traveling at some minimum speed. Although neither of those theories are really very convincing to me, I am still open to anyone that knows for certain. If picture is too big then zoom out because I have no way to recreate it in it's original location. I do not think it has ever been connected since I have owned the bike, and I was really just curious about it's purpose more than having a genuine need to reinstall it.

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
And the wires went to nothing?

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
The only thing with dual blue tracers in that schematic is the front brake diode.

Josh

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
If its too low res to make your point dont stick your foot in your mouth... Think logically, in 87 even cars still had carbs, there was no reason to have temp sensors. The only item on there that has two blueish looking wires is a diode for the rear tail light. Like i said, not a temp sensor, dont judge a book by its cover.
The 84/85 GPZ750 had an Air Temp Sensor.

Side Point: Most cars/Trucks (especially Ford) had switched to Fuel Injection by 1986. I think Honda carried the carb banner a little further, but I know Ford was done with carbs by then.

Josh

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
And the wires went to nothing?
By the time I found it the wires were no longer connected to anything, and I have not had the time or energy to attempt to locate where they may have potentially been connected originally, and even if I was to successfully locate them chances are that they just end up being bundled up with a bunch of other wires wrapped in electrical tape in the wiring harness and tracing them would be therefor a monumental chore.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Bump...

So there is no one one this forum that knows what the hell this part is and or what it does?????

·
Registered
85 Posts
I could be wrong but my first thought was that it was a relay for the blinkers.

·
Registered
847 Posts
i looked at all of the micro-fische documents at cycle-parts.com for your bike, but struck out on finding something that looks like that. Does the shaft rotate or does it push in and out? Sorta looks like a limit switch of some sort to me.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i looked at all of the micro-fische documents at cycle-parts.com for your bike, but struck out on finding something that looks like that. Does the shaft rotate or does it push in and out? Sorta looks like a limit switch of some sort to me.
No moving parts at all.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts