Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went and got it today. Its a 2003 250 with 12000 and I got it for $900 dollars. Im happy with it, the body have some scratches but no cracks. I tried to upload some pics but it wont let me. I have some questions regarding the choke and the throttle adjustment. When I push the choke all the way down and start the bike it revs really high. But when i push it all the way up it dies. So I left it about half way without it dying. Where am I supposed to leave it?
I also found some sort of plastic that was loose and was rubbing on the back tire and I cant figure it out where it goes? So far I'm happy with my bike.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
that all sounds normal for a carb'd bike. just adjust it as necessary to keep your rpm at a reasonable level.

·
Registered
478 Posts
pics?

This thread is worthless without pics. If you had a pic of the rubbing parts we could help you out.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also guys whats the rpm supposed to be at when its idling? How do I know if the idle adjuster is correct? What about the choke? All the way down or all the way up? My bike is idling at 2k but the needle goes up and down. And i have the choke little under half way.

·
Quinton Phuckin Tarantino
18,914 Posts
The idle should be about 1100-1200 rpm with the engine warm . The choke should be all the way down when the engine is run for about 5 minutes from first started.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The idle should be about 1100-1200 rpm with the engine warm . The choke should be all the way down when the engine is run for about 5 minutes from first started.
Ok so all the way down? because when I first start my bike it revs really high around 8k RPM. But when I move the choke up it eases down to 2-2.5k RPM

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
Ok so all the way down? because when I first start my bike it revs really high around 8k RPM. But when I move the choke up it eases down to 2-2.5k RPM

Perfectly normal. So just dont open the choke all the way, so she starts off @ around 3500 rpm.

Bike is prolly running lean anyway. Once I installed my Factory Pro jet kit and 2 degree advancer, I open the choke up all the way, then once she starts, I close it to the halfway point so she revs around 2500 rpm. With the advancer she warms up really fast...

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Perfectly normal. So just dont open the choke all the way, so she starts off @ around 3500 rpm.

Bike is prolly running lean anyway. Once I installed my Factory Pro jet kit and 2 degree advancer, I open the choke up all the way, then once she starts, I close it to the halfway point so she revs around 2500 rpm. With the advancer she warms up really fast...
So choke is off when its all lever thing is all the way down or all the way up? Because mine sits about half inch from all the way to the bottom. Also whenever rev the bike it feels like it wants to die and sometimes it will. When I ride it and give it gas sometimes it dies too.

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
On most bikes, if the choke lever is a handlebar mount, pulling it towards you, basically closes the air flow to richen up the mixture. Pushing it away from you, towards the front of the bike, is turning the choke, "off", so to speak. It always should be completley "off". If not, your bike is jetted to lean.

Buy some Seafoam and put some in the tank. Ride it around for about an hour. Also make sure the air filter is clean.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
On most bikes, if the choke lever is a handlebar mount, pulling it towards you, basically closes the air flow to richen up the mixture. Pushing it away from you, towards the front of the bike, is turning the choke, "off", so to speak. It always should be completley "off". If not, your bike is jetted to lean.

Buy some Seafoam and put some in the tank. Ride it around for about an hour. Also make sure the air filter is clean.
Ok I will do that. Thanks for that explanation on the choke! The guy that sold it to me said it was sitting for weeks. How much seafoam should I put?

·
Quinton Phuckin Tarantino
18,914 Posts
Ok I will do that. Thanks for that explanation on the choke! The guy that sold it to me said it was sitting for weeks. How much seafoam should I put?
Ok wait a sec is your choke on the bars or on the carbs? If the choke is on the bars pulling it will apply the choke . If its on the carbs up is off and down is on (generally speaking ) .

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok wait a sec is your choke on the bars or on the carbs? If the choke is on the bars pulling it will apply the choke . If its on the carbs up is off and down is on (generally speaking ) .
On the handle bar, left hand. Also the idle adjuster screw is in the correct distance from the idler.

·
Registered
478 Posts
pics?

here is my little ninja.

a nice license plate elimination kit with the turn signals put into the Japanese factory position (in the rear tail section).

·
Registered
10,836 Posts
That looks clean.

·
Premium Member
3,324 Posts
Nice 250!

Looks like it goes under the seat, by the battery somewhere. Probably where the tool kit was when it was new...

Looks like the last person to work on it, didn't screw it in properly or at all. The broken piece could have been a tab if it doesn't take screws :dunno

·
Registered
478 Posts
That is the tool tray. If i remember correctly it just sits in there. If it is rubbing i would think that whoever did you license plate kit removed the rest of the tray and it is rubbing. Put it back on the bike and shoot another picture of it on from the top and the bottom of it.

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
Full tank, add about a quarter of a can.... It may put out some white smoke, but dont be concerned with that.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts