Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

I get 32 miles to the gallon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5K views 35 replies 18 participants last post by  herbiekeeper@gmail.com 
#1 ·
WHat the hell guys. help me out, im running only premium, and ive got fresh motul oil, 155 miles to a tank of gas. 6.3 gallons. and i drive pretty easy commuting so whats wrong. she runs great, but im thinking maybe its the plugs. what is the best for drivability. i wanna stick close to the best factory recommended but newer technology

#3 ·
Gotta pull those spark plugs...

They never lie.....Since the ZX11 averages in the low to middle 40s when it comes to "normal" fuel consumption, even if the main jets are one notch to large it could, IMHO, drop the mpg by 6 to 8.

You didnt say if you were running a stock exhaust system or not...

#5 ·
50? Jesus.

I get like 35 right now.

Hopefully the new pilots will allow me to drop the float heights way back down lool

#8 ·
still, i was getting over 40 last summer, but my floats were way lower than they are now

#9 ·
Any new pics of the ole girl Squidge?

#10 ·
not really

I am however considering trading it for something more suited to the 200+ mile rides I often take.

#11 ·
All the love and hard work only to trade her in!

#12 ·
Not trade it in, trade it straight up.

And its just a hobby, sure I am out all the cash, but I was out that cash the second I spent it.

#13 ·
#14 ·
Pfft, that bike is only worth maybe 2500 bucks. 3k if someone is willing to spend extra for the shiny new plastics. I have a post on CL asking if anyone would be interested in trading for a 650R. Something that gets way better mileage and my GF can ride.

I like the 7, but it sucks long distance.

#15 ·
:angry
Shes a beauty now,or close to it.Id keep her.Just me

#16 ·
You assume I have that much attachment to a bike.

#17 ·
Yea i just did an oil change and filter, plugs are next. I have a full(i think) yoshi exhaust and im not sure if its jetted to spec, runs good without a hickup though. What sucks is that on commutes i get about 30ish, if im running hard it drops to maybe 20mpg, something isnt right here.

#18 ·
SV-650 & probably the Ninja 650 twins would be your best bet for 'cheap on gas.' However, I was under the impression that unmodified ZX-11s were capable of low 50s, like California ZX-9s.

#23 ·
Not really my style lol

#30 ·
WHat the hell guys. help me out, im running only premium, and ive got fresh motul oil, 155 miles to a tank of gas. 6.3 gallons. and i drive pretty easy commuting so whats wrong. she runs great
Jet kit installed? With stock carbs I got 40 something mpg in mixed riding. The bike would do 50-55mpg in all day interstate riding at 90mph while laying on the tankbag (low aero drag I guess).

Part throttle commuting is mostly needle and idle circuits. You could lower the needles one washer or notch and see how it rides. Also, close the idle screws a half turn and see how it rides. My 750 ninja jet kit wanted three turns out vs. 1.25-1.75 on the stock settings. Make one change at a time. Also, the old jet kit's directions said to use stock springs in the slides if you mostly commuted to get better roll on and mid throttle performance.

If not a jet kit do you have a dirty air filter? Squirrels living in your ram air intake? Dirty float bowl ram air vent? The owners manual has all kinds of mileage troubleshooting.

#34 ·
He ran out of gas 60 miles outside of town. He'll be here soon, but he's walking back, so it may be a while.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.