Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sooo happy! After what felt like forever, I finally found a K model to call mine! :crazyloco
This model being the ONLY bike I regret gatting rid of back in the day... Here she is fresh of the boat.

· Registered
4,631 Posts
Wow! Congrats.

· Premium Member
6,725 Posts
I am sooo happy! After what felt like forever, I finally found a K model to call mine! :crazyloco
This model being the ONLY bike I regret gatting rid of back in the day... Here she is fresh of the boat.

She looks good. That's an awesome find. Congrats.:clap

· Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
2fat you may like this pic even more... lol

I was looking at your old post when you painted yours. Any info or pointers on how you painted the bike, esp. the decals? I was looking at restoring this bike.

· Premium Member
6,725 Posts
I was looking at your old post when you painted yours. Any info or pointers on how you painted the bike, esp. the decals? I was looking at restoring this bike.
I had an extra set of 7r bodywork sittng in the shop when everything was laid out. My painter took measurements from an original and immediately laid the lines on the new bodywork. There were two tricks he used to keep everything square between the two sides.

1) He had all the bodywork mounted on the bike for the layout after the base color was applied.

2) He had the bike on front and rear stands to keep it parallel to the ground and both sides at the same angle. This is very important because:

3) He used a lazer level to layout the graphics. This guaranteed both sides were even with no distortion due to the bike leaning one way or the other.

4) He pulled everything off the bike and mounted it all on stands he made for this paint job. Most of them were made from 2X4's. He used drywall screws to mount the panels to the stands by using the existing mounting holes/tabs.

· Premium Member
6,725 Posts
Here's the photos of the tail getting done:

· Premium Member
6,725 Posts
All my lettering was done by taking the original parts to a sign maker who was able to make masks and stencils all the lettering so we could get all that right. Then those were laid on as required during the process.

· Premium Member
6,725 Posts
The last time I checked the tank decals were still available from Kawasaki, and so were the "Kawasaki" decals on the lowers. Everything else on mine is paint.

· Registered
210 Posts
The last time I checked the tank decals were still available from Kawasaki, and so were the "Kawasaki" decals on the lowers. Everything else on mine is paint.
Kawasaki decals on the lowers Not available from Kawasaki i tryed to get a set 2 days ago

· Premium Member
6,725 Posts
The ones on the lower are easy to replicate. I am more worried about the stickers on the tail!
I don't believe the tail decals(number plates) are available. That's why I painted mine on (I think).

· Registered
165 Posts
Bike Bandit has them, but they are a tad bid expensive. Unfortunately that is the cost of restoring vintage vehicles...shit is hard to find and unless you find used stuff, it aint cheap.

http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycles/1991-kawasaki-ninja-zx-7r-zx750k1-us/o/m4205#sch54726

I've got $16K in receipts for my 1970 Pontiac Lemans Sport (had it since High School). It's painted the same color as my 96 7r, Persimmon Red.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Yeah, the Pontiac was leaking oil in my carport, LOL!

· Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Its in good condition for being 20 years old, but I like my stuff to be near perfect.
The story behind this bike... My first 7R I bought in 1993 and used it as daily trasportation. On top of that it was also my race/track bike. I had 2 sets of plastics and no one thought it was the same bike. lol!
After owning many other bikes through the years I have always had fond memories of that bike. I have been without a ride since 2001 and I asked the wife If i could find a 91/92 7R If I could get it. She didnt say yes or no so i took that as a YES. I had to pass the first time around on this bike cause I found a nice 96RR and owner contacted me a little to late. After riding the 96 ir just wasn't the same feeling, so I contacted the owner and was glad to hear he still had it. The rest is history...
I aslo found a few cool parts for it!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.