Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my 06 10R for a couple of weeks or so now and all is well. It definately attracts admiring glacers (especially in black:nana ). What I have noticed though (and I carry the wife a lot) is that the silver plastic exhaust heat shields are wearing away. I guess this is my wife's boots or something rubbing it. I knew those 2 Arai stickers would come in handy:rolleyes

Also, there is a really annoying buzzing vibration at 4000rpm (just where running in is) and it is in every gear. I'll get it checked at the 600 mile service. Other than that I can't fault her as she's stunning on the twisties.

Anyone else got running in 'issues'?

Habu

·
Registered
196 Posts
have the same buzz around 4K. mine is the throttle cables vibrating against the master cylinder. the only thing about the heat shields that I can think of is they are not clear coated, no extra paint to protect them. I heard that it sands off easily if you want to re-paint them tho.

pay attention to the tach when you start it and let me know if it does anything funny.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
The buzzing is an issue. I've actually found it to be the two cables vibrating off of each other. Oddly enough, if you know what the little things are that hold and separate your spark plug cables in your car, cut them down so that there is only 2 gaps for wires instead of 4, and place them at different points, it should get rid of your rattle. Otherwise, don't worry about it, you'll get used to it after a bit and you won't even notice it. Just like the annoying whistle of air escaping the tank... yeah, that noise that scared you the day you brought it home, but that everyone else (other 10R riders not included) notices except you by saying "Holy Crap man, what's that? Is that thing gonna blow?!"

·
Registered
51 Posts
i have a 6r and it buzzes too... its actually a piece of my clutch lever vibrating around 9k.

you can tell because if you just touch the clutch lever while you hear the buzzing it goes away.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I have close to 8000 miles on my 06 10R. Mine is vibrating a tad more than when I picked it up. I've determined that I need to sync the throttle bodies to bring it back to that perfectly smooth.

But its not uncommon to have your throttle bodies go out of sync on today's modern Japanese sportbikes. Once you get some mileage racked up on your bike, I recommend taking the plastics off and taking it into a reputable dealer and have them do it. If the plastics are already off, it shouldnt cost more than an hour of labor to get the throttle bodies all synced up.

Now, I am one of those who prefer to do all of my own work on my own bike, but I dont have all of the tools to sync the throttle bodies and unless your doing it all the time on multiple bikes, its better spent money to just pay an hours worth of labor to the dealership IMHO.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
beansbaxter said:
I have close to 8000 miles on my 06 10R.
:scared Blimey. I still haven't taken my baby beyound 4000rpm. What's 8000 thou and up like?:eek:hno

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
haha the bike pulls harder and harder up past the odometer reaching 3000 on it...put the miles on her!!

·
Registered
990 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Shortcircuit said:
If you are going to take the plastics off why not invest in the gear to do it yourself, if there are a few of you you could all chip in for a carb balancer. It would pay for itself after a few uses & you will probably do a better job of it than an average mechanic.

Alternatives:
http://www.calamander.co.uk/twinmax/twinmaxmk2.htm
http://www.carbtune.com/carbpric.html
believe it or not there are many people that ride that don't even know how to adjust a chain. in some cases it is much better to advise to go to the shop. I agree, this is a very simple job. the hardest part is getting to the TB's on some bikes.

I have been thinking about making an oil filled one because you can get more precise ballance.

·
Registered
990 Posts
06ZX-10R said:
believe it or not there are many people that ride that don't even know how to adjust a chain. in some cases it is much better to advise to go to the shop. I agree, this is a very simple job. the hardest part is getting to the TB's on some bikes.
Also there are some mechanics with questionable ability, but I guess if they have a good reputation & you can trust them then why not use them.

On the other forum I frequent we try to teach members to do the basic stuff themselves. I think having some understanding of how a bike works must ultimately help with getting the best out of it.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Shortcircuit said:
On the other forum I frequent we try to teach members to do the basic stuff themselves. I think having some understanding of how a bike works must ultimately help with getting the best out of it.
I agree about teaching others how to do things. then again I don't want to put myself out of work either.

·
Registered
990 Posts
I reckon a good mechanic/motor engineer will always be busy so far as I can see.

I would like to think that it would be the worse ones getting squeezed out of business by people doing more of their own basic maintenence :squint

1 - 12 of 12 Posts