Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Riding last night at 4:00am...it was very cold and wet and too much oil on the ground and I had some close calls going through some blind puddles of still water on the interstate.

These were some big puddles and my rear tired lost traction and I just barely made it through...

Is there a right/wrong/corrected way to ride through these? Any tips or advice you can share with a fellow rider?

·
Registered
449 Posts
Beans, I guess if you can't see a hazard it kinda makes it hard to avoid. Reminds me, 4-5 years ago I saw a dude and a gal go down on the interstate(w/no gear of any kind) it seems they struck a roll of carpet head on and got fired right down on the road bout 65-70mph in traffic, I'll bet they did not see it. As for water and crappy conditions I always coast(throttle off and no sudden input) through and hope to God I can lick it. Close calls you say? I have them all the time this time of year every year, piles of salt,sand,rocks,dead animals(very slick) I lost 2ft. to the outside one time cuz of dead critters. Another thing during times of the season are FROGS on the road, tons of them everywhere. These little monsters are Super slick they should make hybrid oil or something out of these things. Deep puddles make the engine smoke like the dickens,prolly not a great thing but what do ya do?

·
Registered
683 Posts
I'm not sure what to do with puddles, but I've had pretty good luck going over obstacles. I've always felt that a sharp swerve to avoid an obstacle can be more dangerous than taking it head on ( within reason of course ). If I seen an obstacle coming and know I have to get over it, I stand up on the pegs, kinda in a crouch, with my weight toward the back. You can make it over some surprisingly large stuff this way. I went over a HUGE racoon and barely felt it (laughed my ass off actually). I've been over some good size branches in the road and once had to run over the muffler off my bros KZ1000 which unexpectedly flew at my wheels at about 50mph. I thought for sure the muffler was going to take me out and it almost did.
T

·
Premium Member
4,286 Posts
yup .... bring the bike up.. then when through lean back into the corner, if in a straight line.. take the weight of the front tyre.

Also something that is overlooked by many is super soft tyres ....... my man that is how I stick to the road.

Oh yeah and relax ...... don't tense up, take nice slow deep breaths and have fun rolling it out of the corners

·
Registered
368 Posts
Michelin Pilot Power. Best wet weather tire I've ever used.

·
Premium Member
4,286 Posts
Michelin Pilot Power. Best wet weather tire I've ever used.

hellyeah:mfclap thats what I'm talking about....... here is a previous post

I remember coming up one side of the hills rain pissing down and water all over the road, thinking hmmm better take it easy around these uphill sweepers ........ look down at the speedo 165km/h gulp LOL...... they stick

1 - 6 of 6 Posts