1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have an 08 zx6r
So it has...
The headers-mid pipe-pipe- two bros can

I really want to paint the mid pipe and the pipe connecting the muffler.

It looks so ugly . Bike is all blue and black and this huge ugly pipe coming up the tail!

I want to paint the two pipes black

I have no experience in painting so any advice/ opinions would be greatly appreciated on how to do this!?!
Thanks!!!

·
Premium Member
15,095 Posts
Have it ceramic coated. Paint will flake off and will also promote rust.

·
16,062 Posts
Rustoleum and a roller.

J/K.

Ceramic coat is #1.
Cheapo option is high heat engine paint. I think it's gloss.
Cheap bastard option is BBQ paint. Usually flat.
the BBQ paint doesn't cure until it gets hot. Even when it's dry, you can scrape it off with a fingernail before it's heated and baked on.
If you go that route, just be careful not to scratch it up while putting it back on the bike.

·
Premium Member
4,338 Posts
Or another option could be to heat wrap it, just an option if you don't feel confident enough to paint.

·
Premium Member
15,095 Posts
Header wrap traps in moisture and rusts the pipe.

·
Premium Member
15,095 Posts
I still say ceramic coat it. Keep your butt temps down.

·
Premium Member
15,095 Posts
So what about when you wash the bike? Does that not get water in the wrap?

·
Registered
427 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,338 Posts
Also could always get it powder coated with some high heat powder.
I know the powder I have is good up to 1200 degrees

·
Registered
841 Posts
I had my Muzzy header, midpipe, and can professionally ceramic coated, it's sort of a satin black. Looks real good, and has worn well. I think it was about $300.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Is this something id be able to do on my own?
Would this be what I want?
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CPJLGM?ie=UTF8&ref=aw_bottom_links&force-full-site=1[/ame]

I had my Muzzy header, midpipe, and can professionally ceramic coated, it's sort of a satin black. Looks real good, and has worn well. I think it was about $300.

That's looks awesome!

·
Registered
841 Posts
wouldn't hurt to try it yourself. If it works, great! If not, you are only out the cost of a couple of spraycans. You can buy high temp ceramic paint at the local autoparts store.

Thanks!

·
Registered
841 Posts
I had my stock zx9 header sandblasted, then I painted it with a rattle can of ceramic paint. I think it turned out pretty well, but it's just sitting around and not being used.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
I used VHT hitemp paint on my header and link pipe and it held up really well and looked pretty good.
Thats going to be your cheapest bet at around $20 shipped.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
wouldn't hurt to try it yourself. If it works, great! If not, you are only out the cost of a couple of spraycans. You can buy high temp ceramic paint at the local autoparts store.

Thanks!
I'll check out out the auto store tomorrow.
Know of any prepping / how to clean the pipe before I coat it?

Thanks

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I used VHT hitemp paint on my header and link pipe and it held up really well and looked pretty good.
Thats going to be your cheapest bet at around $20 shipped.
Still holding up good?
Did you sand it before u painted it?

·
Registered
451 Posts
For prepping it just use sand paper and sand all the rust off and just spray it. If u use the ceramic spray u need to follow the instructions for curing it which involves idle the bike for few minutes and then let it cool off. U have to do that it few times or it won't cure properly.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts