Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I was riding through town today (really windy) and saw a few bikes iin parking lots blown over. Is there anything I can do to prevent my bike from getting blown over? For now i've left the cover off as I figured that just act like a sail.

Thanks!

·
Registered
527 Posts
Don't ride when the weather channel is forecasting hurricanes?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not talking about getting blown over going down the road, I'm talking about when the bike is sitting in the parking lot parked and gets blown over.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I'm not talking about getting blown over going down the road, I'm talking about when the bike is sitting in the parking lot parked and gets blown over.
Thats still a pretty sizable amount of wind. I stand by my first comment.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I'm just supposed to make my bike disappear when it's gusting 50 mph here? It's not that unusual in Blacksburg, Va. Please try to be helpful.

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
park it so that the nose points into the wind
if the bikes can do 150+ mph then a little wind in the face of the bike shouldn't do too much damage.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I could probably try that.

Do you think I could weight down one side of it with something?

·
Registered
446 Posts
try getting a shorter kick stand so it leans more. and park it leaning away from the wind so the wind pushes toward the side without the kick stand.

·
Registered
782 Posts
either park it head on the wind or have the parked so the bike is leaning the direction the wind is going. I had a issue like this, due to limited parking spots i had to park my bike next to my 370z. Got a knock on the door later that night, guy told me the bike was laying on the car...damn wind knocked it over cuz i got lazy and didnt park facing the direction...this was the damage

And 2 dents from the handle bar/brake leaver in the quarter panel of my 370z

·
Registered
278 Posts
bring the bike inside, face it toward the wind, or next to a wall maybe, that way the wall will protect the bike from the winds? or maybe put it on a stand. I never have really strong winds, and if my bike falls over i have a crash cage so im okay lol

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Snakes that SUCKS! got the car and the bike. There's a lot of nice cars in here so I defintely don't want that to happen. Last thing I need is a body shop bill for a range rover.

I think what im gonna do is face it towards the wind and hope for the best for now. I might go ahead and invest in a crash cage though that's a good idea!

·
16,062 Posts
I think the best scenario is with the bike broadside to the wind, with the wind pushing the bike against it's kickstand. Head-on is good, but if the wind changes a bit and pushes it from the left side, it could go over. I like the weight idea. If your wind is that bad, you could put a cinder block or two on the ground, on both sides of the bike and run a strap up to the passenger pegs, for a little extra security. Would be a pain in the ass if you couldn't just leave them where you park though.

·
16,062 Posts
By "leaning into the wind", do you mean with the kickstand side, facing the direction the wind is coming from?
If so, what happens if the wind stands the bike up? There's no kickstand on the other side to stop it from going over.
We don't get severe wind too often but I live real close to lake Erie and even closer to The Niagara river(which is huge) and we get a good share of wind off the lake and across the river.
I always park the bike with the wind pushing the bike into it's kickstand. Never so much as a wobble.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
heres an "out there" idea... if you dont want to buy a shorter kickstand get 2 hockey puck sized objects, bout 1/2" thick you can throw on the ground and roll your bike on top of when you park this way with them under your tires, your bike leans over a little bit more on the kickstand... otherwise shorter kickstand (probly safer too)

·
Registered
705 Posts
I dont think your bike sitting on pucks to make it lean more is a good idea. I would perfer my tires on the ground IMO. My buddy rides and 07 6R and with his kickstand down it looks straight up. I think others had problems with their bike tipping over. I would change out the kickstand so it leans more.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
i changed the stand on my 2007 6r for one off a 2000 6r. swapped right over and is an inch shorter

·
Registered
61 Posts
If you use a long chain round your back wheel like i do, couldn't you put some tension on the chain to anchor the bike to a post or something..?

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
either park it head on the wind or have the parked so the bike is leaning the direction the wind is going. I had a issue like this, due to limited parking spots i had to park my bike next to my 370z. Got a knock on the door later that night, guy told me the bike was laying on the car...damn wind knocked it over cuz i got lazy and didnt park facing the direction...this was the damage

And 2 dents from the handle bar/brake leaver in the quarter panel of my 370z
Being a Ninja owner and a huge Nissan fan, that story made me cry a bit.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts