Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 06 ZX10R and have Vortex sliders to install and Im told I have to drill or cut either the frame or the fairings.Incidently I painted the silver parts black so it should look nice.Question is which bolt do I replace and whats the way to do this?The kit has two bolts and metal conectors and then the hard plastic or hard rubber whatever they are things that take the impact.

·
Registered
366 Posts
do you have an industrial hole punch? If you can find one, take it drill a small hole, or put a divit in the center with a hand punch, and then when you put your fariing in the hole punch, make sure to put a shop towel or rag in as well to keep it from getting scratched up. Punch shiny side up.

·
Registered
515 Posts
i have the same sliders I think... see pics as to the location, just eyeball where the bolt is with in relation to the fairing, and drill a small hole in line with where the bolt is, then use a dremmel with the drum sanding bit and make a nice whole, to fit the slider, you only need to cut 1 side....

see pics...

see the slider just at the edge of the fairing opening

·
Registered
288 Posts
i have the lsl sliders their no cut with a solid base. but the con is it mounts using some of the motor mount screw attachments. it wasn't so hard just had to take off the bullsh_t fairing. that was the hard point.

·
Registered
649 Posts
If you want that hole nice and centered:

1. take off the fairing
2. pull the motor mount bolt
3. put a sharpie in the hole (may need the half size)
4. remove the foam from the fairing where the hole is going to be
5. carefully put fairing back on bike and make sure the marker hits it.
6. pull off the fairing and then you have your center point.

I did this when installing my LSL's (cut both sides) and it worked perfectly.

·
Registered
22 Posts
If you do not want to use a sharpie you can use Play-doh.

1. Remove Faring.
2. Locate bolt location to be used to mount slider.
3. Place Play-doh on the inside of the fairing approx where the bolt is at. May have to build it up if there is a big gap between the bolt and fairing.
4. Remove the fairing.
5. Drill pilot hole approx 1/8" thru the center of the bolt head impression thru the fairing.
6. Remove the Play-doh.
7. Use black electricians tape and tape up approx 3" diameter around the pilot hole on the exterior side of the fairing. This keeps the fairing from chipping.
8. Depending on the diameter of the slider, get a hole saw that is slightly larger than the slider. If you do it right you will get a good fit with little to no gaping hole around the slider.
9. Drill thru the fairing.
10. Trim any flashing from the inside of the hole.
11. Install fainginf back on bike.
12. Install slider.

In total ablut 15 minutes a side. ;) But I have probably installed aboutl 100 sets.

If your off slightly you can use a dremel to touch up.

Or if you dont want to mess with drilled sliders you can go for no cuts and they just bolt right up. And example of the install on this can be seen on my website with pics. http://www.champindustries.net/zx10_06.html

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanx everybody for the advice.Guess I never really tried hard enough to look where to put the sliders.Guess the guy with the green ZX10R up top has the right idea.I'll give it a harder try.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts