Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remember there was a "Prime" position on my previous C fuel tank petcock but there's only a "Off" position on D (beside "on" and "reserve", of course).
Last weekend, I needed to drain my D fuel tank in order to turn it upside down to replace the 2 filters. I turned it on "Off" but nothing came off. I made it anyway (without emptying it) but quite some fuel spilled by the filling cap.

Weird thing is that I did the same thing 2 weeks ago (to look at fuel sender) and I was able to drain it using the "Off" position.

Did I made something wrong?
In both cases, the tank was about 50% full.

·
Premium Member
1,682 Posts
Claude, I've never gotten anything out in "off". To fully drain I end up using the fuel pump because about half of the fuel is below the petcock so you can't just open the petcock to reserve and let it run out. (I have a spare lying around and hook it up to an old battery.) When I was in one shop they had this siphon tool that had about 1/2 or 3/4 inch ID and some sort of ball check valve. You put one end in the tank, shake the check valve portion to start the flow and then you can empty the tank in a minute or two. Wish I could remember the name, it looked like a handy device.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rich, that make sense as "OFF" position is to move the tank around with no spills...
I have a spare fuel pump; I'll try to make a little setup to drain the tank.
Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
682 Posts
Claude, I had the same problem with my C model (only has on and off) where the fuel would flow with the valve in the off position. I found the gasket inside the petcock to be damaged.A $12.00 rebuild kit from K&L and about 10 minutes to repair.
I dont know all the differences between the c and d tanks but the only way I found to FULLY drain my tank was to remove it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts