Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

· Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have the factory manual ("Manual") and a '06 ZX-14; I want to do a valve adjustment.

1. Manual page 22.2 tells us that when we remove the crankshaft sensor cover we find the crankshaft timing mark on what appears to be a toothed wheel. We align the wheel's TDC (top dead center) timing mark to the timing mark on the case (9:00 clock).

First question: I assume I remove the spark plugs and turn the rear wheel in a higher gear, in order to rotate the timing wheel. Do I rotate the toothed wheel clock wise or counter clock wise to align the marks?

2. Manual page 2-23 tells us to position #1 piston TDC, at the end of its compression stroke, then proceed to the manual's stated procedure to measure clearance.

Manual Page 2-23 also tells us to position #4 piston TDC at the end of its compression stroke, then proceed to the manual's stated procedure to measure clearance.

Second Question: Since foregoing item 1 states only one procedure to align the marks to set TDC for both pistons #1 and #4, what is the procedure for setting TDC separately for either #1 or #4, so the camshaft is in the correct position?

To keep it tight, only the guys who have done this on a ZX-14 should respond.

· Registered
1,044 Posts
remove the plugs to make the motor easy to turn over.you can use the bolt in the end of the crank to turn the motor over. always toun the crank clockwise,(forward). you can tell #1 tdc by the marks on the cams pointing away from each other or if the lobes on both cams for #1 cylinder are pointing up. check the 8 valves on the chart them turn the crank 180 degrees and you can check the other 8 valves.take good notes so you install the right shims. if done right you should only have to remove cams once. good luck and follow the manual. don't turn the crank with the cams out.

· Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

· Registered
1,190 Posts
Mad, thanks for the incredible how-to valve adjustment link!! It answers all the questions. The cam shaft R&R is a very sophisticated procedure and blowing the timing could be a mess.

Thanks Again!
No problem! I'm in the middle of a valve adjust myself which is why it was hot on my "have that information" list. :smile

· Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
No problem! I'm in the middle of a valve adjust myself which is why it was hot on my "have that information" list. :smile
From the site you posted, the procedure to check the valves clearances appears to be straight forward. But since you are going first, I am very interested to know if you need to change the shims; because then you have to remove the camshafts and bungee cord the timing chain.

I appreciate any comments you have as you adjust your valves.

· Registered
1,126 Posts
When it's my turn the dealer will do it.Only have 6000 miles on it.In a few years I'll trade it on the new one.If I get 15000 miles by then I'll get the service done.I'm not doing it,just too much for me.
Craig

· Registered
1,190 Posts
Are you pulling the camshafts?
Had to delay the valve work a couple of weeks. Not there yet. My other bike was out of action for some maintenance as well so had to keep the 14 operational for the weekend rides. :smile

· Registered
1,190 Posts
If you get into it, let us know. I'll do the same.
Will do. :smile Plan to ride it again this weekend...a bit better suited to my plans than the ZRX...I think. Hmmm...

· Registered
1,126 Posts
I adjusted the valves on my 1100 ZRX.Just had to slide the keepers over.Almost every valve was too tight.But at my age with my back and knees not trying it.Don't like screwing with cams.
Craig

· Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I adjusted the valves on my 1100 ZRX.Just had to slide the keepers over.Almost every valve was too tight.But at my age with my back and knees not trying it.Don't like screwing with cams.
Craig
What do you mean the "keepers". Is the ZRX the same cam/set up as the ZX-14 http://www.zx14ninjaforum.com/messag...5A7BC825184613

I don't see how you can lift off and remove the caps over the valve stem? Can it be done on a '14?

· Registered
1,126 Posts
I used the work keeper as slang.It is actually a rocker arm.When you got the cams in the right position there are so many valves you can do.Measure the clearance then slide the rocker and take the shim out then mike it.Check the manual for the clearance to see what shim it takes.No removing of cams.Very different from the ZX-14.
Craig

· Registered
1,190 Posts
Craig
What do you mean the "keepers". Is the ZRX the same cam/set up as the ZX-14 http://www.zx14ninjaforum.com/messag...5A7BC825184613

I don't see how you can lift off and remove the caps over the valve stem? Can it be done on a '14?
No. ZRX COMPLETELY different. Did those last week. :smile

· Registered
35 Posts
ZRX has shim above the bucket, and the cams push down on lifters that can slide to the side to change shims. ZX has shims under the bucket due to higher rpm or redline. Cams have to be removed or repositioned to change shims.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.