Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive already searched and couldnt find anything so bare with me...

alright now...i just got a 08 zx6r with no title...i traded a 04 yamaha yfz450 atv with no title straight up. the yamaha wasnt in the best condition and the ninja has 8,100 miles and is in awesome mechanical condition...so i figured y not. so i traded.

come to find out, from talkin to the dmv in jefferson city, mo...the "original owner" who was the guy BEFORE the guy that i got it from, didnt pay sales tax..and luckily the bike isnt stolen thank god..

ive had a buddy at the local dealership run the vin for me and try to get ahold of the original owner..well we found out his name and his address of residence at time of purchase. but we couldnt get ahold of the dude..

so....ive come down to 3 options

1 of which is get ahold of the guy and offer to pay his sales taxes(which is dumb i know) but i was gonna try......fail.

2 is hire a lawyer and go after the division of motor vehicle and file for a declaratory judgement....the title will then be appointed to me....over a couple, few months or so ....and lawyer fees :-S

or 3 i could find the same model and yr frame with a good title to swap everything over to.....

Does anyone know anything at all that i can do to acquire a title for this damn bike so i can legalize it....without spending a shit ton of money that is...i mean if i gotta go to a different state other than MO, than thats what ill have to do..i just want a title..sounds simple but its not

I would appreciate any response. thanks

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Thats a tough situation you have to know how you'll handle before you get in it.

How long did 2nd owner have the bike?

Now you're at the mercy of the original owner and how he purchased the bike (cash or loan). If cash you can handle it quick once you get a hold of him. If a loan purchase...well I had a friend lose a bike cause of a similar situation. (Guy took his cash and bike was repo'd by bank). Kind of a red flag he didnt sign the title to the 2nd owner, I think.

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
Here is what you do, or what would work in this state. File papers with the state that you have an "abandoned vehicle" on your property that money is owed on for a "repair". After 30 days of the owner not claiming the vehicle, the state should default ownership to you and grant you a title.
You may have to ask the clerk at the county courhouse how this works in your state. It is fairly simple here and only involves putting an ad in the local paper notifiying the public (and the owner) that you have the vehicle.
The amount for the repair could be an invoice or receipt of what you paid for the bike probably.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
im not so sure how long the 2nd owner had it...but apparently the cops are always after the 1st owner so more than likely he wont be found or hes in jail...

so i guess my only chance of getting a title the easiest and cheapest way is to get a frame..?

·
Registered
919 Posts
This is why I don't bother with anything without a title. Have you researched one of those title bonding companies?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Can you apply for a lost title? I know in MI when I buy stuff without titles I have to go to the state department, apply for a lost title, they check the VIN to make sure it's not stolen, I pay the sales tax with bill of sale and occasionally a KBB pricing guide print out and then it's good to go. Not sure how it works in other states though. You could always 'wash' it...if you don't understand the term google it because it is somewhat illegal, but it is a way to get around your situation.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Don't know about Missouri, but check with a local towing company. They often end up with abandoned vehicles which, after a period of time, they are able to obtain a title and then sell, instead of junking a vehicle.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Thats a tough situation you have to know how you'll handle before you get in it.

How long did 2nd owner have the bike?

Now you're at the mercy of the original owner and how he purchased the bike (cash or loan). If cash you can handle it quick once you get a hold of him. If a loan purchase...well I had a friend lose a bike cause of a similar situation. (Guy took his cash and bike was repo'd by bank). Kind of a red flag he didnt sign the title to the 2nd owner, I think.
this works in mass say its been there for two years or something theres a bunch of hoops and paper work but its easier than doing a whole new frame and what not

·
Registered
257 Posts
It would be much easier to do the paperwork than finding a cleaning titled frame inexpensive and then move everything over to the titled frame.

Here is what you do, or what would work in this state. File papers with the state that you have an "abandoned vehicle" on your property that money is owed on for a "repair". After 30 days of the owner not claiming the vehicle, the state should default ownership to you and grant you a title.
You may have to ask the clerk at the county courhouse how this works in your state. It is fairly simple here and only involves putting an ad in the local paper notifiying the public (and the owner) that you have the vehicle.
The amount for the repair could be an invoice or receipt of what you paid for the bike probably.
This doesn't sound like a bad idea.

This is why I don't bother with anything without a title. Have you researched one of those title bonding companies?
I've dealt with a non titled motorcycle before, and I will never gain its such a PITA

Don't know about Missouri, but check with a local towing company. They often end up with abandoned vehicles which, after a period of time, they are able to obtain a title and then sell, instead of junking a vehicle.
Also a good idea.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Can you apply for a lost title? I know in MI when I buy stuff without titles I have to go to the state department, apply for a lost title, they check the VIN to make sure it's not stolen, I pay the sales tax with bill of sale and occasionally a KBB pricing guide print out and then it's good to go. Not sure how it works in other states though. You could always 'wash' it...if you don't understand the term google it because it is somewhat illegal, but it is a way to get around your situation.

yeah but the only way to file for a lost title in MO is if your the original owner or if i get ahold of him and have him do it..so since the guy cant be found, ill be chasin my tail..

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeah ive even thought about this and actually seems like it would be the easiest...and ive got a buddy that works for a well known towing co around my area so i might be able to pull that off...

·
Registered
478 Posts
You should be able to print up a mechanics lean paperwork from your state's website for the bike and get it notarized and filed. Then take the bill of sale and the mechanics lean paper work show it to the dmv and the fact you have the keys for it and you should be able to get it titled. It can be slightly different in each state.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You should be able to print up a mechanics lean paperwork from your state's website for the bike and get it notarized and filed. Then take the bill of sale and the mechanics lean paper work show it to the dmv and the fact you have the keys for it and you should be able to get it titled. It can be slightly different in each state.
ok so with my understanding, this filing is pretty much stating that i have done work or repair to this "bike" and the owner hasnt payed me...

how does this work being that im not a licensed mechanic and how would i get the title for x amount of "cost in repairs" i have done????? im just curious how i would get the title with this?

·
Registered
478 Posts
mechanics lean

You don't really have to be a mechanic. You just say you were fixing it and the owner never came back for it and you have tried to get a hold of the owner for some time. If the vehicle is salvage property, say recovered from the side of the road by a tow truck company contracted by the DOT to do so, and all outstanding storage fees have been paid, contact the DMV to obtain a salvage title.

If you are a mechanic or repair shop, and the vehicle was abandoned and you have made every attempt to contact the owner to claim his property and pay his debt, file for a mechanics lien with the local district court. Wait another thirty days, and file for repossession of the vehicle with the same court to cover the outstanding costs. Once you obtain a legal order for repossession, you contact local law enforcement to report the vehicle repossessed, and file for a new title with the DMV. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
6,999 Posts
try checking with your local dmv and see if its possible to get a bonded title i know here in iowa you can do that but not sue about mo.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
DSM: I've been watching you struggle for the past couple of days with this parade of well-meaning, but largely incorrect advice. The simplest way to accomplish what you want to accomplish, IF you haven't already screwed yourself with the original boneheaded transaction, is to contact the Missouri DMV--either by phone or on the following website: dor.mo.gov/motorv/titling.php which is loaded with information. If you don't get an answer there...here's the fall-back paragraph: "You can also submit your motor vehicle title and licensing questions to our staff by e-mail. Your e-mail will be forwarded to the appropriate area for reply. Some inquiries can be responded to more quickly than others depending on the issue and amount of time needed for research. Please make sure your computer will accept our e-mail response."

Go to the source, I'm fond of saying.

DW

·
Registered
135 Posts
Some states have what's called an "involuntary title transfer", which does not require the original owner to sign the title (but a bill of sale may be needed). You should be able to file a form to research the title/owner history to find the last registered owner. Basically, you apply to your courthouse for ownership of the vehicle. A copy of the court paperwork has to be sent to the last owner in order to give him an opportunity to state any claim he has to the bike. If he doesn't accept the certified letter, then you have to post notices in local (local to you AND him) legal journals for a specified period of time. If still no response, you can then proceed with the court-ordered title transfer. Some states offer a bonded title transfer, which requires a "security" to be put up by the new owner, which will be returned after a certain time period. I live in PA, where the involuntary transfer is legal, but can't tell you about MO. There is also an outfit in Las Vegas (International Title Service, I think) that claims they can get a title for just about anything. Good luck!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts